Newbie in Texas with Life and Health License

Pal

Hi,
I'm a newbie in Texas at Life and Health and got my license. I don't have any appointments with anyone yet. I'm looking for advice on who might offer appointments to new licensees with no exp. or book of business. I'm seeking to become an independent agent and focus on Group Health as I have good volume of clients who own small business. I know it is not easy to begin but i still would like to give it my 100% effort. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.Also can anyone please let me know a good place to start gaining more knowledge on Group Health.

Experienced agents/mentors who would like to lend some help are welcome and will be compensated for their most valuable time

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello STI,

Thank you for the advise. But before going through them just want to know if I can go direct and if so what is the process.

I'm also pretty new to this whole game but if I were you I would just start making calls to the big group carriers in your area. In my area (Michigan) the big ones tend to be Blue Cross Blue Shield, Priority, and HAP. Others you might look into would be Humana/Aetna/United Health Care. You could also consider asking some of the clients you plan on pursuing what carrier they currently have so that you can be appointed with them.

Another thing to consider is finding a GA or MGA (general agency or managing general agency) in your area. They will help you get appointed with whatever carriers they represent and usually offer training on different subjects aimed at helping agents learn the business.

Hope that helps, best of luck to you.

You question is a little vague and open ended. When you say you are looking for a little help and advise are you looking for a local agency, someone to ride with and train you, or are you looking for someone outside your area and all you want to do is to speak with someone over the phone and do virtual training? and if you want someone local, what part of TX are you in? I know it may be a lot of questions but once we know that you may get better guidance.

Latest posts

Back