Newbie - Independent or Captive? Start w/Life Insurance or other?

Beans

Hey all,
I'm brand new to insurance. I got licensed a year ago, but as someone on this forum pointed out, that's only a license to begin learning. I did construction full time, and just dropped down to 3 days a week now, because I really want to focus on getting insurance going. Construction will pay my bills while I get insurance running. So I have a couple questions...

1 - I've already been contracted with a broker company. I'll be focusing on life insurance sales - Mostly term. I've contracted THROUGH "said company" with a few life companies that "broker" works with. The problem that I have is that I'm starting to realize that those policies are very expensive. Not only have I had people TELL me that the prices are steep, but I've personally run test quotes online, and found that other comparable products are more than 40 to 50% less cost. Now, I'm a captive agent. I have no problem being captive, but I don't want to sell a product to my customers if I KNOW they can get it for a much lower price. I'm extremely honest, and I want my clients to trust me. But being a captive agent, I can’t offer them the best deal…not even close.

SO – I’ve got no problem leaving “broker”, but do I go independent and start signing myself up with a whole bunch of life companies? If so, what are the top 10 life companies to contract with? (I’m in California)

2 - I would LIKE to own my own book if possible. If I can't do that to start with, then that's no biggie. I'll work through someone else until I get the knowledge needed of the products etc.

SO – Again, do I just go Indy and sign up with those insurance companies? If I should NOT go Indy just yet, what company should I work with…what company will at least be able to offer the clients a “fair” market price? And I'll need training / support at least early on, so they'd need to be helpful in that area as well.

Life insurance is the only insurance that I am getting a comfortable working knowledge of. For the most part, I understand it. Every company has their own little tweaks on definitions and policies etc, but it’s easy to learn. Anyway, for me, since I’m brand new, is it recommended that I start out with Life insurance sales or is there a smaller stepping stone I should look into?

Also, I have no problem doing cold calls if that's what it takes to get going. But is it more advantageous to start working with a company, or just try to get my own business going?

Is there a company that would give me their leads, and let me work from home 2 days per week? The work days would fluctuate depending on what 3 days I'm needed in construction. So basically, the schedule would be whenever I want to work, but they'd give me leads and a percentage of the commission. Any ideas? Again, California.

Any suggestions are helpful.

Thanks everyone

Last edited:
Re: Newbie - Independent or Captive? Start w/Life Insurance or ot

Go captive UNLESS you can get trained really well. Indy can make you the most money but
you still need support @ this point in your career.

I would be willing to train you if you need help going indy and I also work with a really great agent on here Mark Rosenthal who would help you along as well. Life is where its at so good move there.
You have to be willing to do what you learn though. I find many starting out agents don't have the confidence and need someone to go on every appointment with them etc...

No company will GIVE you good leads to work. I pass on leads to agents for free sometimes as does Mark from what he has said.

Most agents think buying leads is the way to go in reality you need to learn the business and learn creative prospecting to generate your own.

Reason being is up front you probably aren't seasoned enough
to make the leads cost effective.

When my new agents buy leads I call the leads on 3-way and help them close them until they learn to sell.

Last edited:
Re: Newbie - Independent or Captive? Start w/Life Insurance or ot

be careful listening to the above poster, he admits he stieals client lists from other agents.

Back