Newbie, Where Do I Begin?

swahid

Hello,

I am a stay at home mom. I am a Domestic Violence Survivor and I am living in a Domestic Women's Shelter with my two girls. I am returning to the workforce and I have five years call center experience and 6 months experience being a receptionist. I have no insurance experience. What is making me decide on a career insurance is that I am putting my resumes on every job search engine out there. The only companies that are responding back to me are insurance companies. I am getting responses from Farmers Insurance, American Income Life Insurance, Aflac, and American Insurance Organization. I am starting out and I don't have a lot of money for licensing, training, etc. I am needing companies that will work with me through training, licensing, and work/life balance to accommodate childcare. At this point, I feel that I am totally clueless on where to begin. Any help anyone could give me is high appreciated.

Sincerely,

Sharon

Sharon - It's great that you are trying to create a better life for your children. Some people choose to give up or give in. To keep it from getting too personal, I'll just say I can identify with your situation.

I'd like to speak to you directly, hopefully I can be of some assistance. Can you send me your email address so we can connect. What State are you currently in?

My suggestion would be to consider what and to whom you would want to sell in the insurance business. It will save you a lot of time and grief.

The companies contacting you are going to want to put you into a boilerplate sales channel where they control the product and the type of client/prospect you are going to work with. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it makes it tough if your natural niche does not fit their parameters.

When helping new agents I always suggest they look to themselves and see if they have any kind of natural market to separate themselves from the heard of agents out there. If a person is under 65 on Medicare, it seems they may have a better rapport with others in the same situation. I am retired military and find I have natural rapport with other veterans and retirees.

In observing agents locally (not what is posted on this forum) I find that women agents tend to be very good with seniors and seem to be naturals for Medicare Supplements, Advantage plans and drug plans.

Also, you are a domestic abuse survivor and I would think that gives you an advantage in working with other women who have been victims of domestic abuse. If they have children certainly health insurance, life insurance would be appropriate products to discuss with them.

If you sit down and make a list of the kinds of people you feel you would want to work with (seniors, women, whomever) that will be a great value in determining what insurance products would fit into your natural market.

As for training, these days this forum along with quality organizations like SIMA, ILIAA and IHIAA can provide as much training to you as the captive outfits provide but without forcing you to conform to their system.

Just my $.02.

Dave

Hello,

I am a stay at home mom. I am a Domestic Violence Survivor and I am living in a Domestic Women's Shelter with my two girls. I am returning to the workforce and I have five years call center experience and 6 months experience being a receptionist. I have no insurance experience. What is making me decide on a career insurance is that I am putting my resumes on every job search engine out there. The only companies that are responding back to me are insurance companies. I am getting responses from Farmers Insurance, American Income Life Insurance, Aflac, and American Insurance Organization. I am starting out and I don't have a lot of money for licensing, training, etc. I am needing companies that will work with me through training, licensing, and work/life balance to accommodate childcare. At this point, I feel that I am totally clueless on where to begin. Any help anyone could give me is high appreciated.

Sincerely,

Sharon

Sharon, I would avoid the companies you have listed. Try AGLA they pay a salary to start.

Last edited:
swahid,
While I can't make any suggestions I do want to say kudos to you for your strength, resilience and determination. Best of luck to you on a fresh start.

As for training, these days this forum along with quality organizations like SIMA, ILIAA and IHIAA can provide as much training to you as the captive outfits provide but without forcing you to conform to their system.

Just my $.02.

Dave

Thanks for the plug, Dave! IHIAA has been discontinued but you can also check out NOLHA (NOLHA.org), a free organization for Life and Health and Senior agents. SIMA and ILIAA are also useful networks.

Sharon,

Powerful story. I am glad you are out of the relationship and getting your life on track.

As for getting into insurance, if you are limited in funds, you may want to find a position that is captive, where you have a salary and benefits. The companies you listed are diverse, from P&C, to workplace products, etc. Pick an area that you want to focus on and pursue it. Don't try to be a one stop shop for your clients. Specialize in one area then expand over time.

Remember staring as an individual agent, you are starting a business. There is a lot of time and money that may be and usually are required to begin.

If you can, try starting part time. I know many advise against this, and it will take longer to build a business, but I have seen too many people jump in with both feet, run out of funds, and then scramble to make basic monthly payments (rent/mortgage, gas, electric, etc.). It will be hard work and time consuming, but also very rewarding and can lead into a successful insurance career.

If you are commission only, regardless of how "nice" the sales manger is, they have no vested interest in your success (hence the vast replies to your resume). If you only write a handful of polices and leave, they now have a few more policy holders and don't have to pay out residual income.

Hope this helps...

Back