Newby Needs Advice

HomeService

Guru
1000 Post Club
Austin, TX
I just recently got licensed for P&C in Texas. I have been into life insurance for years and years. But, I am new to P&C. I know where to go for life training, but if a person were to go to a big captive for some P&C training.... which company would you guys advise in Texas? I think the captive co.'s train better, which is why I suggested captive, as opposed to just throwing the newbie out there to the wolves, which is one other way to do it, but that does not appeal to me at all.

i dont know if you write through one carrier or many...

Read the policies... May take a few days to get through one cause their boaring... but its important to know what you're selling.

A lot of Insurance Companies will offer training such as an intro to personal/commercial lines for P&C... keep in mind that those courses are that Company specific.

i dont know if you write through one carrier or many...

Read the policies... May take a few days to get through one cause their boaring... but its important to know what you're selling.

A lot of Insurance Companies will offer training such as an intro to personal/commercial lines for P&C... keep in mind that those courses are that Company specific.

Never written anything on P&C side... I just have the license. No sponsoring company. It's a long story but one certain captive life company wanted to hire me then license me for P&C so I could write renter's insurance for one of their subsidiaries. They were going to license me in the office- but I went and got my full-blown P&C general lines license- then that life company never hired me, so I have the license -with no idea how to use it. I think I'm interested in personal auto insurance...

Well, you have plenty of options... Jobs at the company or agency level.

As an Agency principal... I would look at resumes of the applicants with licenses, even with no experience, and hang on to them. Your best bet would be an agency that writes through one carrier, rather than an independent agent. I started at an independent... as hard as it is to really learn one company... imagine 9 different.

A lot of Insurance Companies look for underwriters with a P&C License and two years of college... thats another really good route.

Back