Newly Independent and Looking for Advice!

JAG82

Expert
I have been in the life/health/LTC/annuity insurance field for 5 years now. I started as a captive agent for Bankers Life & Casualty (like 75% of agents I have talked to) but left after 2 years. I was making decent money while there but morally could not stay as I knew better rates and products were available else where. I have been independent now for 3 years and I am starting to struggle getting in front of enough people to meet my own sales goals. I have tried internet leads and I am tired of wasting money on them so I have been doing the old fashion door knocking and cold calling. Does anyone know of a good direct mail company for health and life leads or has a good template to use for either. Any suggestions would be helpful and incase your wondering I live and work in MICHIGAN.
Regards,
JAG82

:idea:<----NEEDED
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
P.S.----Direct lead mailers that I would get the actual card they wrote on back, not a name, number, address in a list or email!!!
:D

Last edited:
I have been in the life/health/LTC/annuity insurance field for 5 years now. I started as a captive agent for Bankers Life & Casualty (like 75% of agents I have talked to) but left after 2 years. I was making decent money while there but morally could not stay as I knew better rates and products were available else where. I have been independent now for 3 years and I am starting to struggle getting in front of enough people to meet my own sales goals. I have tried internet leads and I am tired of wasting money on them so I have been doing the old fashion door knocking and cold calling. Does anyone know of a good direct mail company for health and life leads or has a good template to use for either. Any suggestions would be helpful and incase your wondering I live and work in MICHIGAN.
Regards,
JAG82

:idea:<----NEEDED
P.S.----Direct lead mailers that I would get the actual card they wrote on back, not a name, number, address in a list or email!!!
:D

Unless you are going to get with an IMO that provides leads then you will have to do them yourself. It seems most agents doing their own use MSPM. But there are others.

I looked at their webpage but didn't see any post cards that I liked.....I am not a fan of those postcards that I have seen a thousand times before. I think I will design my own.

I looked at their webpage but didn't see any post cards that I liked.....I am not a fan of those postcards that I have seen a thousand times before. I think I will design my own.

The more generic and boring it is, the more responses you'll get. Designing your own will probably get a smaller response and I doubt the responses will be any better quality.

If you're from Bankers, you should know that you just need to get in front as many people as you can. Lead concept, MSPM, target leads etc will do that. There's no magical secret. You don't want the card to set the appt or sell them, you need to do that

I've used Lead Concepts for 15 years and haven't left. I agree with Chazm that designing your own is tricky. Also, unless your committing to pretty substantial volume, they may want you to pick off the shelf. Generally, if I'm designing a new lead, I start with an existing one with a proven return rate and make very slight changes to it (so you have a baseline expectation). Invariably, the response goes down, but they can be slightly better qualified. I've also radically changed leads and gotten virtually zero response, so I've stopped trying that!

I have a whole collection of nice pretty full color direct mail pieces I've developed and tried. They always disappoint.

I too use Lead Concepts and have been for 10 years. The samples on the website are normally out of date and the actual mailers have been tweaked to be even more boring and more generic.

I had one order pull 9.9% last year! Give it a shot. They mail you the actual postcard so you can have it in your hand when you approach and they will email you the list so you can door knock other seniors in the neighborhood.

Last edited:
Any success with TargetLeads? I have been in contact with them and they have been pretty nice and accommodating so far
I've also heard good things about main st power mail

Last edited:
I know the fine print on the cards says it is insurance, but they seem a little misleading. Do they work just as wll if they say Final Expense Inurance as they do saying Senior Final Expense Plan?

Back