Newly Licensed Agent - Non-Compete Agreement

I wouldn't sign it! Non-compete's are a funny thing. 1) They're illegal in some states (I'm not too sure about yours). 2) Depending on where you are, they might not be enforced.

Regardless, if you're starting off, I would recommend doing some research and finding a company that offers you a base salary/training allowance + a commission that's performance-based in conjunction with a training program.

My understanding is that quite a few companies are getting rid of their base salaries, and making their compensation solely commission based (insurance is regulated by the state, so it isn't terribly of a big deal for seasoned agents, anyway--but some people love their base salaries). However, for agents that are just starting off, quite a few companies give new agents what's called a "training allowance" (essentially, a base salary---many don't like to call it that, though ) plus commission. Eventually, after completion of the training program (the amount of time can range from a month(s) to years), the compensation switches over to full commission. Granted, the amount of money you'll make won't compare to the pro's (unless you have salesman's spirit), but it can be quite a stable income (except for your first paycheck :D), and it's great for people who are new.

Best of luck!

Last edited:
Back