Newly Licensed PC Agent

Marquis Bullock

Allen
Newly Licensed General Line agent in DFW, need guidance on which direction or path to start on. Should I become an independent or captive agent and which insurance agency are willing to hire and train new agents?

Newly Licensed General Line agent in DFW, need guidance on which direction or path to start on. Should I become an independent or captive agent and which insurance agency are willing to hire and train new agents?
It seems as if a lot of people on here support going captive for some time to get training and learn how to perfect what works for you, and then going independent

I'd say it depends on you. Do you have sufficient business skills to run an agency? Do you feel comfortable talking to clients about their assets knowing that they are depending on you to properly set up their policies and coverages?

I don't think it's a bad idea to spend a year or two working under an established agency. Think of it as an apprenticeship. If you can get a producer position and keep some of your clients that's great, but most agency owners aren't going to let that happen. Write that time off as your education and start from scratch knowing how things work. Of course, there are many different paths. Do your homework and don't be afraid to go against the grain a little as long as you do your homework.

It depends on a person and his/her background. If someone who has done business, sales, and marketing in the past, chances are this person has a higher chance of making it in this industry. Regardless of whether you become an agent as a Captive or Ind., you need to have a business owner mentality.

If you don't have any of the above skills, you will struggle and probably fail. IMHO, brand new greenies should spend the first 6-12 months as a Producer for an experienced Agent before becoming an Agent. Find someone local that can teach you the ropes.

Last edited:
It seems as if a lot of people on here support going captive for some time to get training and learn how to perfect what works for you, and then going independent

Yup, that's my vote. I would say a year or two captive, then go indi. I would suggest commercial. It's harder to learn and its a bigger sale. But boy-oh-boy if you can nail it down, it's the place to be. If I was personal lines instead of commercial, I'd be working twice as hard and making less money.

Last edited:
In the end, it depends on your marketing strategy. You can be the best salesperson in the world, but it does you no good if there is no one to talk to. If you don't have one and aren't sure how to get one, I'd seriously consider signing with an agency.

If you have the drive and self discipline you can start your own agency without prior experience. You'll need financial backing of some type because it will take a while for the renewals to start compounding. Training and advice is available online, find a service that provides carriers and a helpful attitude and you'll pull it off. Not easy, but big upside.

Back