Newsletters

axeman462

Guru
1000 Post Club
Florida
I have seen on this forum where some agents send out monthly/quartley/yearly newsletters to their clients.

I was considering doing something like this. What kind of stuff do you put in a newsletter?

That depends on if you want to spend time writing your own newsletter or not. Even if you're good at it, do you want to be doing this yourself?

Here are a few links of newsletter services that you may find useful:

The Insurance Pro Shop has newsletters that are more "conversational" and probably easier for most people to read:
The most effective and affordable client newsletters for insurance agents and financial advisors

Some of the VSA ones are "technical" and wordy... but they have a ton of them:
Newsletters

The previously discussed e-relationship: http://www.insurance-forums.net/forum/general-insurance-agent-discussions/e-relationship-t59447.html

The shorter and easier to read your newsletter is, then the more personal you can get with other ideas.
- You can send an announcement about an upcoming workshop you're holding.
- You can send pictures of an event you recently hosted.
- You can send articles from other professionals - estate planner, CPA, etc. on planning tips.

You can do it via email or snail-mail... whichever you prefer. The idea is to never let your prospects and clients forget you... without having to pester them directly.

It is NOT the job of your newsletters to "educate" your prospects. If they want education, they can get licensed and certified themselves. To me, effective newsletters are the ones you can look forward to getting every month. I think the Insurance Pro Shop delivers that kind of newsletter.

That depends on if you want to spend time writing your own newsletter or not. Even if you're good at it, do you want to be doing this yourself?

Here are a few links of newsletter services that you may find useful:

The Insurance Pro Shop has newsletters that are more "conversational" and probably easier for most people to read:
The most effective and affordable client newsletters for insurance agents and financial advisors

Some of the VSA ones are "technical" and wordy... but they have a ton of them:
Newsletters

The previously discussed e-relationship: http://www.insurance-forums.net/forum/general-insurance-agent-discussions/e-relationship-t59447.html

The shorter and easier to read your newsletter is, then the more personal you can get with other ideas.
- You can send an announcement about an upcoming workshop you're holding.
- You can send pictures of an event you recently hosted.
- You can send articles from other professionals - estate planner, CPA, etc. on planning tips.

You can do it via email or snail-mail... whichever you prefer. The idea is to never let your prospects and clients forget you... without having to pester them directly.

It is NOT the job of your newsletters to "educate" your prospects. If they want education, they can get licensed and certified themselves. To me, effective newsletters are the ones you can look forward to getting every month. I think the Insurance Pro Shop delivers that kind of newsletter.

Yeah Im trying to do this as cheap as possible. Mainly for branding purposes. I just want to gently remind them that i am here every so often. Since it is the end of the year, I was also thinking about sending a magnetic calender for them to put on their fridge with some kind of letter.
So i am looking for this one to be snail mail, but I'm just not sure what to say in it. i was thinking something along the lines of "thank you for your business this year. I am here if you ever need anything yadda yadda yadda. merry christmas"

I write my own quarterly client newsletter. All education about how various parts of Medicare work. Each goes out first class postage with a signed cover letter. I sent about 800 last quarter. Fantastic response and referrals come from every edition. The revenue far exceeds the expense.

So I was sending out some of the letters with calendars out this week, and at the end of them I put "have a merry Christmas".
I usually have someone read over anything I send out for typos/grammar/and second opinions etc...
Well, she was saying that I shouldnt put "merry Christmas" at the end, because it could offend some people.
Personally I think its offensive not to say it, and people make too much a big deal out of it, but she got me thinking...

is it best to play it "safe", and just say "have a great holiday season"?

I used to use Let's Talk Money newsletters. I loved it, but it got too expensive as my business grew. Now I just send out an article every two months with a short letter.

I have always use "Merry Christmas" and have never been challenged by it. I would probably get more upset calls if I said "Happy Holidays." The clients I have who do not celebrate Christmas have told me that it's nothing to get offended about.

Back