NH Independant Broker

Kenny

Hello,

I have been trying to read as much as I can, and search the forum as much as I could to try to find the answer to my many questions. For the most part I have found several resources that I have found very helpful. I am looking to buy/start an independent agency in New Hampshire. I currently own a mortgage company, mortgage processing company, and a few mortgage marketing websites and have my own natural market with that set of business ventures. HOWEVER, that market is slowing down, almost to a halt. I don’t like the outlook at all to be quite frank, so I believe that it is time to move on, and the easiest transition I can see is financial planning/insurance.

To sum this whole thing out, here are a few of the questions I do have!

• Is getting appointed as hard as everyone is making it out to be? Are there any company’s (I believe they are called MGA’s) in NH that are willing to work with a new agent like myself?
  • How important is having a physical address (there is a new strip mall that is aching to have an insurance agency in it) when you start out? Is it easier to work from home (it appears that most company’s require a physical address separate from the home address)
  • How do you guys feel about internet leads?
I know a lot of these questions are on the forms, however it seems that every state is al most completely different then the next!

Thank you for your time! :yes:

Kenny

I can't speak to the P&C side.

One agent I'm aware of shares (he may be the rentor) an office in a travel agency. Believe it or not. Focus for him is health (ind. & group)

You just need to call each company directly and find out what their requirements are. Some will appoint direct, some will want you to go through a GA - ask them which ones.

As far as a separate address, there's always one of those mailbox places.

Do a search on this forum and you will find your answers. At least I did when I had questions and found over 90% of my questions answered when searching with due dilligence...

"it seems that every state is al most completely different then the next!"

Bingo! It is kind of hard to give advice when I am on the other side of the country and the rules are different.

Also what type of insurance do you want to work? the people side or the thing side? They are different and have different requirements. Are you also thinking securities? Would you be willing to give up your other business? Sometimes with securities you have alot of extra hoops to jump through.

Kenny,
I am an independent agent in CT and I also write individual policies in New Hampshire due to its proximity to CT and the fact that the same carriers are present in CT & NH.

Please feel free to call me at 203-882-9805 if you want to discuss NH a bit. Here are the answers to a few of your questions in the order you've asked them:

(1) No its not hard. You can get appointed directly with carriers or MGAs if you need/prefer training and lead support at the expense of less commissions.

(2) Its simply not important to have a physical address. You said "it appears that most company’s require a physical address separate from the home address." What insurance companies are you talking about? I'm with Anthem Blue Cross, Assurant, Celtic and Harvard Pilgrim in NH and I'm in Connecticut with a home office.

(3) I like internet leads. Some agents on this board do not. If you don't have a lot of experience, internet leads can be tough.

Kenny, you are correct. Most states are very different from each other and yours is no exception.

Sincerely,
Jesse McDonald

I can't speak to the P&C side.

One agent I'm aware of shares (he may be the rentor) an office in a travel agency. Believe it or not. Focus for him is health (ind. & group)

You just need to call each company directly and find out what their requirements are. Some will appoint direct, some will want you to go through a GA - ask them which ones.

As far as a separate address, there's always one of those mailbox places.

He may be the renter, or the rentier, but never the rentor.:policeman:

Back