No Call List

Never was a concern to me with cold calling some one on the Do Not Call List. I think if you are courteous and respectful people do not mind you calling them, at least that is my experience. I used to call on thousands of old leads some were as old as 4 years. All I would say is that I am doing a follow up to make sure they were taken care of, and I also would ask them if some one got back to them. This is how I would engage them in to a conversation. If I was completely cold calling I would say something like "I don't want to take any of your time I know you probably busy" As I remember I have not got a single negative response. In fact people appreciate when you being respectful. Thats my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Never was a concern to me with cold calling some one on the Do Not Call List. I think if you are courteous and respectful people do not mind you calling them, at least that is my experience. I used to call on thousands of old leads some were as old as 4 years. All I would say is that I am doing a follow up to make sure they were taken care of, and I also would ask them if some one got back to them. This is how I would engage them in to a conversation. If I was completely cold calling I would say something like "I don't want to take any of your time I know you probably busy" As I remember I have not got a single negative response. In fact people appreciate when you being respectful. Thats my 2 cents.

Be careful with this approach. Most people will simply hang up on you, even if they give you the time of day. All it takes is one though, they report you, and if it's shown you have a track history of ignoring the do not call list (especially if your not registered), you'll receive a nice letter for the fine. The fine is $11000 per call, it adds up quick.

Dan

Actually, if you read close, the FCC defers to the FTC rules about do not call. The FCC does mention that it applies to intrastate calls as well. The states then add a layer on top of this.

It's really not that confusing. If you stick with the federal rules, you'll stay out of trouble. While many think they are a bit cumbersome, they really aren't that bad. Look at it this way, people on the do not call list are your no's. There should be more yes's in the pile afterwards.

Dan

You actually have to pay attention to both FED AND state DNC laws. They don't all match. I don't remember the specifics but there were some lawsuits in Indiana about a company that was in compliance with the federal rules but not with the state ones which are much stricter is some areas (I think in the time you have to call someone you have done past business with.)

The state won the lawsuit and fined the company thousands of dollars even though the company was in compliance with the federal rules.

After that several large banks filed suit against the state of Indiana saying they need to be able to call their own existing customers indefinitely. From what I can remember, they also lost.

The state of Indiana has let it be known they are reliant upon the DNC fines they collect and they enforce them. They refuse to merge with the federal program because they would lose this income stream.

Good point. In California, state and federal are one in the same, so I don't have to worry about the differences very much.

It is a shame when states are dependent on fines to make ends meet, and therefore they make the rules more complicated so it's easier to fine companies.

I'll avoid calling Indiana now :)

djs guru has it down. Respect is key to the conversation. When I call a B2B I always ask if they have a few minutes to talk. If not, I understand and ask for a better time. The most successful sales people are those that actually call someone and follow up.

All I know is according to the law here in Colorado, all insurance agents must obey by federal laws to keep their insurance license. By the way the federal fine if you caught calling people on the do not call list is 10,000 dollars per phone call. Even if Texas has that law, I wouldn't do it. Federal law also states that any one solicitation, with out prior request is breaking the do not call laws.

I would like to personally thank you both for bumping a two and a half year old thread and adding nothing of value to it.

It's my understanding that since the advent of the No Call List, Texas Agents are liable for adherance. B2B is exempt, but consumer contact is still an issue. When our agency contacts consumers, we check the DO NOT CALL REGISTRY on line.

Back