No Experience Going Straight to Indy?

Gonzales

Here is my situation. I'm just getting started taking my online pre license classes for life and health. After I pass the CA state test. I plan on going straight into Indy. I know this is frowned upon by some, but I've searched my local area and nobody is really hiring. I've only found ads for p&c. I currently have a full-time job working nights at a group home so my days will be free and I will keep a steady income until I'm ready to go just with insurance. So I plan on starting with FE and med supp plans. As I hear those are the easiest to start with. So I have a few questions to ask.

1. What companies will appoint me? Having no insurance history and being a newb probably won't help me.

2. If you don't recommend me going straight to Indy. Do you know anyone located in the Central Valley in CA that might help me start up and I can use as a mentor?

3. Will I need E&O insurance? I will be working from home will I need a business license and register my business name?

4. In the future I will like to add several other agents to work for me. Possibly specializing in other areas of insurance. Is that a good idea? And what would I need to do to achieve this?

Any and all help and criticism is welcomed. Thank you in advance.

I use premier senior marketing for a good amount of my Medicare and FE products. You can find them at Premier Senior Marketing - Your one-stop marketing shop!.
They have E&O you can get from them too at mga-eo.com/psm/ and it seems to be a pretty good price.

You don't need to have experience in order to get contracted with FE and Med Supps/MAPD plans but you may want someone to help you out with what companies are good in the area and how to get a hold of people.
Premier doesn't have all the companies so you will probably find other FMO's later on .

Don't get too ahead of yourself with having agents work under you. In theory it sounds good and all but it's more of a headache than you would think. Just worry about getting contracted with some companies and learn how to prospect. Prospecting will either make you or break you.

Here in CA, you need no more than 4 carriers for Med Supps. In this order: Anthem, UHC, Health Net, Blue Shield. But if you're in So Cal you also need to contract for MA plans - some direct; some thru an agency. No Cal has only a few MA and almost not worth the effort.

If you'd like to talk, send my your phone number by email.

Rick
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I figured I would from what I read online. Any good recommendations? And what should I expect in prices?

The best E&O is for contracted agents with Anthem and/or Blue Shield. Costs $460 a year and covers you for anything you can write with a life and health license.

Rick

Last edited:
If at all possible, but it seems might be improbable find a mentor. Improbablility comes from, that a strong suggestion would be to even go with him on some appt's to get a good sense for warm-up and closing. Maybe if you had a few appts he might consider some kind of split biz with you.

Wish you were closer, I'd help but you'll find tons of knowledge here.

Here in CA, you need no more than 4 carriers for Med Supps. In this order: Anthem, UHC, Health Net, Blue Shield. But if you're in So Cal you also need to contract for MA plans - some direct; some thru an agency. No Cal has only a few MA and almost not worth the effort.

If you'd like to talk, send my your phone number by email.

Rick
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The best E&O is for contracted agents with Anthem and/or Blue Shield. Costs $460 a year and covers you for anything you can write with a life and health license.

Rick

Thank you I will be emailing you sometime today.

Everybody else thanks for the great info. I can't believe how many people are willing to take their time out of the day to help out somebody they don't even know. Thank you

Back