No Life Insurance - Family Builds Coffin in Home Depot

somarco

GA Medicare Expert
5000 Post Club
Atlanta
One year after Scott Neilson, a father of three, was diagnosed with a brain tumor, he died from a cardiac arrest. Scott’s passing at age 46 was sudden and unexpected, and his loving family was absolutely crushed.

Since Scott passed away without life insurance, his family knew the final expenses were going to be very costly. But since Scott was also a skilled home builder who came from a family of talented contractors, there was one surefire way to reduce the funeral costs.

While I can appreciate the story...I can't help but wonder about it. In a business where everything is regulated and controlled, would a funeral home accept a handmade casket?

A direct cremation could have (possibly) been done for under $1000. I'll share the story but with some skepticism.

While I can appreciate the story...I can't help but wonder about it. In a business where everything is regulated and controlled, would a funeral home accept a handmade casket?

A direct cremation could have (possibly) been done for under $1000. I'll share the story but with some skepticism.

Federal law requires them to accept it.

A direct cremation could have (possibly) been done for under $1000.

Among my circle of friends (mostly young couples with very young children,) cremation via one of the many 'societies' is a very popular option. Many have paid the up-front fee and are banking on the society being around 50-60- years from now when the need will arise. (I tell them what Jerry Seinfeld would say: 'Good luck with all that!')

Of course some have life coverage, often a large term and a smaller WL or GUL or IUL... but not as many young families as you would think are covered... even among those who can easily afford the premiums.

The insurance industry has done a poor job marketing to the age 25 - 35 demographic. as opposed to the Schwabs and Fidelities of the financial world. There is no "celeb advisor" out there in the media to match Dave R. or Suze O.

Also in my area there is a distinct shortage of young, sophisticated, college educated insurance advisors who relate well with highly educated young professional couples who enjoy the opera and the ballet more than hunting and NASCAR.

If you are a young agent selling in a large metro area to high-income young professional couples in the 25 to 35 age group, I'd advise that every once in a while you should put down Guns & Ammo magazine and pick up The New Yorker as well as switch stations from ESPN sports over to PBS Masterpiece Theatre.

You've all heard "If you want to catch fish, fish where the fish are.” Well, it also helps to use the right bait!.

Among my circle of friends (mostly young couples with very young children,) cremation via one of the many 'societies' is a very popular option. Many have paid the up-front fee and are banking on the society being around 50-60- years from now when the need will arise. (I tell them what Jerry Seinfeld would say: 'Good luck with all that!')

Of course some have life coverage, often a large term and a smaller WL or GUL or IUL... but not as many young families as you would think are covered... even among those who can easily afford the premiums.

The insurance industry has done a poor job marketing to the age 25 - 35 demographic. as opposed to the Schwabs and Fidelities of the financial world. There is no "celeb advisor" out there in the media to match Dave R. or Suze O.

Also in my area there is a distinct shortage of young, sophisticated, college educated insurance advisors who relate well with highly educated young professional couples who enjoy the opera and the ballet more than hunting and NASCAR.

If you are a young agent selling in a large metro area to high-income young professional couples in the 25 to 35 age group, I'd advise that every once in a while you should put down Guns & Ammo magazine and pick up The New Yorker as well as switch stations from ESPN sports over to PBS Masterpiece Theatre.

You've all heard "If you want to catch fish, fish where the fish are.” Well, it also helps to use the right bait!.

Why Masterpiece Theatre? Are only the Brits capable of producing "sophisticated" programing? :nah:

One year after Scott Neilson, a father of three, was diagnosed with a brain tumor, he died from a cardiac arrest. Scott’s passing at age 46 was sudden and unexpected, and his loving family was absolutely crushed.

Since Scott passed away without life insurance, his family knew the final expenses were going to be very costly. But since Scott was also a skilled home builder who came from a family of talented contractors, there was one surefire way to reduce the funeral costs.

That's not totally unheard of. Funeral homes run into a funeral where the guy built his own casket once every couple of years. Usually it's not people trying to save money. Those people usually go with direct cremation or direct burial with with a cloth covered casket.

The people who built their own caskets are usually guys who are great at building things out of wood and just wanted to build a casket for themselves or a family member.

Just be sure you build it to the right size. I was involved with a funeral a few years ago. The mother died And her son had built her casket during her illness.

It looked pretty nice except I don't know where he came up with his interior dimensions but it was about 4 inches narrower than a standard size casket. She was a little extra chunky sized woman too. So they had a very hard time getting her squeezed into that casket and she is obviously way too tight in there.

On top of that when people make their own caskets they usually don't put an adjustable mattress. Most caskets have a client handle that inserts and they crank the height of the mattress for the visitation and viewing. That way people view the deceased without looking down inside the casket. Well if you're Brachor is ready to close the lid thanks to handle the other direction and it lowers the person down so that he can close the lid.

Without that feature people look like they're down in the bottom of a box. That doesn't look too good to start with the person is way too large for the box it looks horrible.

But yes funeral homes accept any casket.

Last edited:
Why Masterpiece Theatre? Are only the Brits capable of producing "sophisticated" programing? :nah:

No, but so often Masterpiece films a book that we've all been forced to read in college... but didn't... we probably read the outline online or got Cliffs Notes.... and it would be nice to see the whole story!!

It is hard to find time to read in college between the parties and the concerts and sports and other assorted pleasures.

Back