No More Commission on COBRA/Cal-COBRA W/Anthem

insurehound

Guru
100+ Post Club
Escondido
If you sell Anthem in California, you will NOT be getting paid for any newly enrolled Cal-COBRA or COBRA members after 2/1/10. I guess that means I don't have to do the work either when clients have questions.

Where is this documented? Was it sent hard-copy to CA agents? Or is it on the Anthem agent website? If so... where?

Al3

Found it on a GA web site.

In an effort for Anthem Blue Cross to maintain a competitive position in the marketplace as well as to decrease administrative costs for their groups and members, beginning February 1, 2010, they will no longer pay agent commissions (and this will impact overrides, as well), for newly enrolled members that elect state and federal COBRA benefits.

Anthem Blue Cross will continue to pay commissions and overrides for currently enrolled COBRA and Cal Cobra members.

Anthem Blue Cross will be sending out a hard copy letter to agents (this mailing will also include the revised commission schedule) on Monday November 16, 2009, as well as an eblast on Monday November 23, 2009.

Again, this change will take place beginning with February 1, 2010 for newly enrolled COBRA members in all group business.

https://ga.beerepurves.com/news/carriernews/anthem/CommissionSchedule_Agent_FINAL.pdf

Obviously some of us have not received the mailing yet and the e blast won't be delivered until Monday. Thanks for the heads up, Hound!

Last edited:
I just got THE letter (hard copy) stating that:

"... beginning Feb. 1, 2010, Anthem Blue Cross will no longer pay agent commissions for newly enrolled members that elect state and federal COBRA benefits. Agents will continue to receive commissions for currently enrolled COBRA and Cal Cobra members."

Is this in line with the comp practices of other health carriers?

Al

not that I am aware...but I guess others' will follow.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Here is the response from my Anthem rep:

The Cobra loss ratios are running about double the normal book. This means that for every dollar a carrier takes in for a Cobra member, we pay out more than that in claims. With the ARRA giving more folks help to purchase Cobra, more have, and it is hitting the book with very high claims. This makes us have to cost shift in our own book not to raise the rates on our other members, the active EE's and their deps that are enrolled and for which you are paid commission. If we continued to pay commission on the Cobra folks, we might have to raise the rates on everyone. Sound like healthcare reform???

This is just one more example of why you have to do one more thing just to be the “really good guy” that you already are – cuz it’s the right thing to do.

From my view:

1.) Rate increases will happen regardless
2.) This is cost shifting alright - Anthem still takes in money but shifts the costs to the agent
3.) I love it when a salaried rep lectures me, an independent business owner, about my business

Last edited:
What I find disturbing is that these current Anthem RSM responses to continued attempts to cut off our commission are all exactly the same, word for word, from RSM to RSM.

I have no doubt they are given the standard rebuttal script straight from Indianapolis.

Might have to raise rates? Please! Anthem only does on thing, and that is to raise rates. I believe they are raising them again in about, oh, 34 days or so.

This might be a bit off topic but its my feeling that Anthem is stock piling premiums right now.

My groups rate increase have all been double digit and I was only able to reduce a couple of them to single digit.

The avg has been 18% on good groups. Last year the avg was around 14%.

They could be stock piling premium because of the health care reform or higher rate increases to make up for lost membership.

Retracted, in part, this morning by Anthem.

Commissions will continue for federal COBRA beneficiaries, but not for Cal-COBRA beneficiaries. I can kind of see this since the carrier is funding the 65% subsidy on these plans.

Second commission dump and retraction before the effective date in the last 3 months by Anthem. Wonder if they are "testing the waters"?

Last edited:
Back