No Workman's Comp...what should he do?

2112Greg

Guru
100+ Post Club
Got a soon-to-be client and I need to answer one question before that happens. He's a two-man woodworking shop (custom cabinets and the like) and he opted out of WC (possible to do in Texas). What I haven't been able to locate is the benefits that the employee would receive in the case of an injury on the job.

Anyone have an idea about this?

Also, I see there are private WC policies available. What companies are good for this? Are the plans cost-effective? And do private plans also provide the liability limits that state-sponsored WC carries?

Any help is appreciated...as usual! :)

WC is state specific. You might want to check with a P&C agent to see what kind of benefits are available. Generally WC includes payment for work related injury or illness. Coverage for medical bills, LOT & death are covered items.

Got a soon-to-be client and I need to answer one question before that happens. He's a two-man woodworking shop (custom cabinets and the like) and he opted out of WC (possible to do in Texas). What I haven't been able to locate is the benefits that the employee would receive in the case of an injury on the job.

Anyone have an idea about this?

Also, I see there are private WC policies available. What companies are good for this? Are the plans cost-effective? And do private plans also provide the liability limits that state-sponsored WC carries?

Any help is appreciated...as usual! :)

Aflac has a great accident plan that cost $38.10 a month here in Florida for a level C, which is everybody outside of clerical, and that works on or off the job. I don't know about other supplemental carriers, but I beleive the same policy exists in your state

I'm working on getting Golden Rule for them. The owner likes to take his time on things (obviously).

Turns out, his main concern about WC is the watertight legal protection it provides in case an employee decides to sue him. There's no private insurance that can provide the same level of security.

We're going with accident plans and Golden Rule for now.

Back