Non Compete Agreement Question

Ethan Martel

Hi everyone, I recently got my Michigan Insurance producer license with lines of Health, accident and life.

I was in training very briefly as an independent contractor with a health insurance broker who sells to clients Nationwide. We were paid a weekly base salary as well as comissions on our sales. I ended up leaving because they were requiring everyone to be at work up to 80 hours a week over the next few months for open enrollment.

Basically, when I started there I signed a non Compete Agreement that's valid for two years. And I have two questions.

1. Is this enforceable so that I couldn't go to any insurance company now, OR is it only if I went to another broker who sells all insurance as opposed to a Captive agency.

2. Could they even legally require me to be there 80 hours, and pay me a base salary if I was an independent contractor.

I appreciate any advice you can give me, because I am new.

Would really have to see the No Compete but most are written so that you can't contact any of the old company customers, might not be able to appoint with the same companies as the first brokerage. Most Non-Competes cannot stop you from working, especially one written for 2 years out but be careful with any contacts you may have developed at the old company

Thank you, that's kind of what I was thinking too. I wasn't there long so I only had but a few clients. And most places I've been looking at going to are different types of insurance now.

Would really have to see the No Compete but most are written so that you can't contact any of the old company customers, might not be able to appoint with the same companies as the first brokerage. Most Non-Competes cannot stop you from working, especially one written for 2 years out but be careful with any contacts you may have developed at the old company

80 hours per week?

Are you a Goldman Sachs intern or something?

Hours/attendance requirements normally = employee but plenty of agencies dance on that line.

Also, states normally have some say in this (see
California's proposed labor law and how it affects Uber/Lyft)

Haha that's exactly my thought.

Latest posts

Back