non conventional ways of prospecting (personal)

what are some ways a guy without a big circle of influence in his licensed state can reach enough people to grow a respectable amount of income annually?

to provide further context, I'll be an Independent Agent and lucky enough to be keeping my "regular job" during the ramp up process. Once I see some traction in insurance premium written, I will reduce my role at my job.

I plan to door knock a lot, and while its outside of my current experience, try to organize some networking events etc.

Successful marketing requires time and/or money. Focus on the methods in which you have an excess. If you have neither, then you may want to reevaluate your present situation.

Conventional ways of prospecting are conventional because they work.

Non conventional ways of prospecting are ways that generally don't work.

Following convention usually wins.

Not following convention usually fails. Every once in a while you will read some story about out of the dozens and dozens of failures, one person or organization will succeed doing things unconventionally. Those make for good stories. The dozens and dozens of people and organizations that do things wrong and fail, rarely get articles written about that.

All 4 of my vehicles have performed well and aged well by following conventional maintenance - following the maintenance schedule and manual.

My family and I have done very well investing, by following conventional investing philosophies that have worked for centuries.

My father has cooked delicious meals by following conventional recipes.

I have kept healthy by eating well, exercising and consulting qualified doctors - convention.

Almost everything I have succeeded at in my life, is by following proven methods that others have consistently used.

If you believe you know more than the majority of the successful people in the industry, then try something else.

Generally when someone wants to give a go at a very predictable old business by trying something new, what I usually hear is "hold my beer and watch this!"

Last edited:
so then
Conventional ways of prospecting are conventional because they work.

Non conventional ways of prospecting are ways that generally don't work.

Following convention usually wins.

Not following convention usually fails. Every once in a while you will read some story about out of the dozens and dozens of failures, one person or organization will succeed doing things unconventionally. Those make for good stories. The dozens and dozens of people and organizations that do things wrong and fail, rarely get articles written about that.

All 4 of my vehicles have performed well and aged well by following conventional maintenance - following the maintenance schedule and manual.

My family and I have done very well investing, by following conventional investing philosophies that have worked for centuries.

My father has cooked delicious meals by following conventional recipes.

I have kept healthy by eating well, exercising and consulting qualified doctors - convention.

Almost everything I have succeeded at in my life, is by following proven methods that others have consistently used.

If you believe you know more than the majority of the successful people in the industry, then try something else.

Generally when someone wants to give a go at a very predictable old business by trying something new, what I usually hear is "hold my beer and watch this!"

good post here. I think I should have made the title of the thread, "proven methods of prospecting that many agents don't want to do?"

I see alot of talk on here about cringing at the thought of knocking on doors and cold calling.

I think some people are unwilling to do something even if its proven to be a successful method.

I suppose the question to ask is, "what am I willing to do to secure business that some others may be overlooking, or not doing enough of?"

Door knocking businesses. That's the money maker, largely because few people have the grapes to do it.

I've gotten some really big clients this way. After properly asking for referrals, door knocking is the biggest money maker for me.

One that I got from door knocking just added 4 locations and is now a 6 figure client. That 1 client is going to pay for all my dirtbike parts, maintenance and trips this year.

Last edited:
I'll suggest getting written testimonials with pictures as part of the process when possible. Dramatically speeds up the credibility portion of building up business.

what are some ways a guy without a big circle of influence in his licensed state can reach enough people to grow a respectable amount of income annually?

to provide further context, I'll be an Independent Agent and lucky enough to be keeping my "regular job" during the ramp up process. Once I see some traction in insurance premium written, I will reduce my role at my job.

I plan to door knock a lot, and while its outside of my current experience, try to organize some networking events etc.
*disclaimer: I write property insurance only occasionally to my life clients that request it. So not a true p&c agent. But if I wanted to get into p&c full time, I’d try to buy a retiring agent’s book. Then you wouldn’t need your own warm market. Just work your book. Obviously that takes some $. But I’ve had several friends on the life side who transitioned to p&c. The only ones who’ve been successful at it started out by buying an agency.

*disclaimer: I write property insurance only occasionally to my life clients that request it. So not a true p&c agent. But if I wanted to get into p&c full time, I’d try to buy a retiring agent’s book. Then you wouldn’t need your own warm market. Just work your book. Obviously that takes some $. But I’ve had several friends on the life side who transitioned to p&c. The only ones who’ve been successful at it started out by buying an agency.

Obviously if you throw enough money at something it will make money. Look at Donald Trump.

Of course when you buy a book, be prepared for 50%-75% leaving when they find out there old agent isn't there. Then get ready to lose a bunch more because you are new and don't now how to handle a book you didn't build.

The only ones I know that have had success buying a book, have one of their own they already built.

Obviously if you throw enough money at something it will make money. Look at Donald Trump.

Of course when you buy a book, be prepared for 50%-75% leaving when they find out there old agent isn't there. Then get ready to lose a bunch more because you are new and don't now how to handle a book you didn't build.

The only ones I know that have had success buying a book, have one of their own they already built.
Maybe it helped that the guys I know were already experienced life agents, so they knew how to take care of existing clientele. I can see your point about a new agent having more trouble keeping business.

Back