Non-Drivers Insurance Question

TrueDPS

Hello so I recently obtained my driver's license. I still live with my parents and I do not own a vehicle (at least not currently, the vehicle I will be driving is in my father's name but I'll be the main driver of it). I'm not sure what kind of insurance I should be looking at, should I look for non-drivers or should I be added to my father's insurance as a driver of the vehicle? Any help would be appreciated.

Normally the best option, if possible, is to be rated as a driver on your father's policy. If for some reason you are not eligible to be a driver on his auto policy, then look into a non owners policy, but understand that would not be ideal. It would leave him open to liability exposures, and there would be no collision coverage for his car if you were driving.

Added to your fathers. Most carriers require all household drivers to be listed on the policy any way. Your father should be listing you already.

Non owned policy will not cover autos owned by family member or autos the insured have regular access to.

Back