Non marketplace coverage in OK

bengalih

I currently don't have any options of insurance though my state of employment so much purchase my own health coverage for my family of 4.

It seems that there are absolutely no long term health plans available in the state of OK outside the marketplace. There are about 6 plans (bronze/silver/gold) that have been presented to me via the marketplace and using several 3rd party sites to find coverage.

I have found using 3rd party sites short term coverage (like from United), but the closest thing I found to long term insurance was a plan from US Health Advisors (underwritten by Freedom Life Insurance Company of America using the Cigna PPO network). I was a little sketchy on this plan as I sat through a presentation, but upon examining the documentation more closely it appears that this plan doesn't even meet ACA guidelines and I would likely be paying the tax penalty.

Therefore, is it reality that the only company I can purchase long term family health insurance from in OK is BCBS (the market place plans). My understanding is that the marketplace plans have to accept anyone. My family and I are in relatively good health and I would like the chance to medically qualify for another ACA plan that might not be HDHP, etc - but it doesn't even look like these exist.

Am I missing something

Sorry...this is the first forum I've ever been on where I don't see a way to edit a post I've made. My first paragraph should have said "so MUST purchase my own health coverage"

thanks.

It’s not real health insurance.

I’ve heard nothing but horror stories about those plans. They claim to use the Cigna PPO network but I’ve had multiple people tell me when it came down to it, doctors wouldn’t take the plan. Most of these people thought they had Cigna PPO.

Have you talked to an independent agent in your area? And not someone who slings US health advisors. Those are not Indy agents.
They could let you know if there are real health insurance plans outside of the marketplace available in your zip.

Welcome to the ACA (Obamacare). Many companies have quit offering coverage. Most of the Blues are still playing (or last ones at the party so they cannot leave). Underwritten plans no longer exists because of the law.

ACA is now about income planning more than anything. Try to structure your income to keep it within the 100-400% of the federal poverty levels (FPL) based on your family size.

If you cannot do that, consider group coverage if you are self employed and your company is structure so that you can get it.
If that's not an option and you make over 400% of FPL; it's going to be PAINFUL....
If that's not an option, consider a religious plan (I don't recommend this).

I would highly recommend you talk to a broker in your state who has been doing this a while. They might be hard to find because many of them have left the business. Good luck.

TX girl here. I'm jealous of the OK options.

Be grateful you can get the BCBS PPO options. Most areas don't have PPO anymore.

And there should be an HSA option.

Back