Non-owned Vehicle Coverage

Frankcougar

I have a situation with a client. He has an endorsement deal with a car dealer to drive one of their vehicles for a month and talk about it on the radio. He will do that for three different vehicles for three months. The car dealership wants his personal auto insurance to cover the vehicle while it's in his possession. Any property damage coverage extended to non-owned autos would exclude vehicles furnished for regular use. The underwriter says they will not extend coverage to a vehicle that the insured does not own. Any thoughts on how to properly do this for him?

Maybe they could rent him the car and do rental coverage?

You can't insure something you don't have an insurable interest in.

Shot in the dark... but could you create an insurable interest by them leasing the car from them via a contract requiring him to list them as loss payee.... just like a well... lease.

Technically couldn't you do that for $1 a month lease?

Just being creative... haven't actually used this but maybe?

----------

@Josh Sorry didnt mean to copy, You posted before I finished my comment... GREAT thinking though! lol

I have a situation with a client. He has an endorsement deal with a car dealer to drive one of their vehicles for a month and talk about it on the radio. He will do that for three different vehicles for three months.

Whose idea was this?

Did the radio guy cook this up as a way of driving a new car every month? If yes, then he should be paying for the insurance and you can go to the surplus lines brokers and see if any of the E&S companies will tailor make him a policy for a couple of thousand bucks.

However, if the dealer cooked this up as an advertising gimmick then the dealer should be the one covering the radio guy at their own expense.

I know it was not the radio personality that initiated this agreement. It was an arrangement made between the salesperson at the radio station and the dealership. The dealer already had a contract drafted as if they have done this several times prior with other personalities.

Back