Non resident agent trying to sell in my state

Palsera

i think I may have guy selling in state he’s not licensed to sell in. I like pled him he is licensed to sell in Colorado. Colorado is his license state. I live in Nebraska I looked him up he doesn’t have non resident license in Nebraska

Turn him into the FBI, they know how to handle guys like that. :policeman:
haha.
FBI=Joke. Pretty sad that is how it is these days. They probably couldn't even take down a rogue agent.

In all seriousness... I'm not sure what you are asking. Are you a client or agent? If ur a client and someone is not licensed that is trying to sell you, you can go to the ins commissioner and file a complaint.

If ur an agent, I wouldn't waste alot of time worrying about what 1 other agent is doing. Go do your thing. Now if he's unlicensed and stealing your clients...maybe you look into it. I'd be willing to bet he ain't the only unlicensed agent who is soliciting. Here's the thing though... I'm not sure there is a way to actually DO business without having the NR state license.

As I recall, it depends on where the application is taken/signed. I've seen CA life agents do this a few times when the applicant is visiting CA from their state of residence. Since CO and NE have a common border, the agent may be selling NE clients near the border having them come to CO to complete the app. As far as I know this is perfectly legal without the NR license.

If you want to win business, provide better value. The other agent is not your issue.

If they make a sale, they will have to be licensed in the state the client lives in. The carrier will not accept the app unless the agent is properly licensed in that state. Not a big deal... it usually takes about 2 days to get a non-resident (except in NY). Most out of state agents do not get licensed until the client has indicated they are serious about moving forward.

If "they arent licensed in this state" is the reason they should pick you... then you didnt have a chance to begin with. You are wasting your time. Go find someone who wants to buy from you... stop trying to convince someone to not buy from another agent.

Focus on providing more knowledge and more education than other agents, that is how to win business.

Last edited:
FBI? I thought insurance was state regulated?

I have a recording of someone giving this advice to an agent:

You really don't have to apply for other states until you have a sale. To get a - to get contracting with the company - I mean if you have a sale, it takes literally a second, not a second, but a day to get other nonresident state licenses.​

and he added:

So please don't get nonresident licenses if you don't have a sale.​

So according to this guy, it's OK to talk to people about life insurance, you only need a license if you actually make a sale.

Perhaps someone can clarify.

FBI? I thought insurance was state regulated?

I have a recording of someone giving this advice to an agent:

You really don't have to apply for other states until you have a sale. To get a - to get contracting with the company - I mean if you have a sale, it takes literally a second, not a second, but a day to get other nonresident state licenses.​

and he added:

So please don't get nonresident licenses if you don't have a sale.​

So according to this guy, it's OK to talk to people about life insurance, you only need a license if you actually make a sale.

Perhaps someone can clarify.
I was joking about the FBI Bob. Guess it went over your head, you need more humor in your life. :laugh:

Back