Northstar Memorial Group

daddioh

Expert
Does anyone know anything about Northstar Memorial Group? I was contemplating getting in to preneed/burial planning and low and behold a rare ad for a new sales person was in Sunday's paper. I sent a resume, I know the Funeral Home has a good rep, but was bought by North Star a few yrs ago. Anybody?:err:

Does anyone know anything about Northstar Memorial Group? I was contemplating getting in to preneed/burial planning and low and behold a rare ad for a new sales person was in Sunday's paper. I sent a resume, I know the Funeral Home has a good rep, but was bought by North Star a few yrs ago. Anybody?:err:

They must be regional. I've never heard of them.

As a rule, you are better off with an independently-owned funeral home than a corporate-owned one. Better commission percentage for you and lower prices for the consumer.

The main corporates to avoid are SCI-Service Corporation (AKA: Dignity Memorial) and Alderwoods Group (Formerly called The Lowen Group.)

You want to make sure the funeral home does at least 125 at-need funerals per pre-need salesperson. You also want to make sure your commission on ages 50 to 80 averages at least 10% of the face amount of the policy.

Terms that you can offer the clients such as 2 or 3 years same as cash make a HUGE difference in your sales. Middle class to affluent people will preplan. Poor people can't afford it. Many agents go broke trying to chase the lower income families. Most people will pay it in full with one payment or pay it off within 3-years.

Well, after two interviews, I got the job with the Funeral Home. He said they provide leads in several ways and they don't have a pre-need counselor making less than $50k. He said the commission starts at 10% and graduates up to 14%. He also stated that after starting in whats called the "community" side (pre- need sales), you can be moved over to the "family services" side and make up to an additional $20k. Full benefits, etc...I spoke to the secretary while we were alone. She had been working there two months and she said it was the best working environment she has ever experienced. Everyone was very pleasant to work with. They do 900 burials and 1200 funerals (I might have that reversed) each year. They are opening a brand new mausoleum soon. It at least sounds good. Thanks for your help.:)

Well, after two interviews, I got the job with the Funeral Home. He said they provide leads in several ways and they don't have a pre-need counselor making less than $50k. He said the commission starts at 10% and graduates up to 14%. He also stated that after starting in whats called the "community" side (pre- need sales), you can be moved over to the "family services" side and make up to an additional $20k. Full benefits, etc...I spoke to the secretary while we were alone. She had been working there two months and she said it was the best working environment she has ever experienced. Everyone was very pleasant to work with. They do 900 burials and 1200 funerals (I might have that reversed) each year. They are opening a brand new mausoleum soon. It at least sounds good. Thanks for your help.:)

Sounds great. The mausoleum sales are a HUGE plus to your pre-need insurance. In fact some locations have more mausoleum sales then pre-need funeral. Good luck!

Back