Northwestern Mutual As a First Time Insurance Salesman?

TFord7

Expert
I started sales career selling the knives (Cutco)... got bored of it tried a few pyramid schemes in college. Graduated and at the time had no car so I figured I'd try out Merchant Services but I'm in Florida so that was the absolute pits even in January/February when its "cool" here.

I finally landed a salary position but after about 3 months in the cubicle I will spontaneously combust in there any moment. I like to work hard, i like to spend money, but above all I like a certain level of autonomy.

So I'm in a college town, Northwestern Mutual is here I figured I'd build a few months reserve, get my resume together and stop by; Is this a good company to start with?

I started sales career selling the knives (Cutco)... got bored of it tried a few pyramid schemes in college. Graduated and at the time had no car so I figured I'd try out Merchant Services but I'm in Florida so that was the absolute pits even in January/February when its "cool" here.

I finally landed a salary position but after about 3 months in the cubicle I will spontaneously combust in there any moment. I like to work hard, i like to spend money, but above all I like a certain level of autonomy.

So I'm in a college town, Northwestern Mutual is here I figured I'd build a few months reserve, get my resume together and stop by; Is this a good company to start with?

The best!

Not if you like autonomy.

So they do a good deal of micro management? It doesnt seem as though many of the companies deemed "good" are in Gainesville, FL (NYL, Guardian, MM etc)

I interviewed with Bankers Life about a year or so ago and was interested in the opportunity in general but not with them (interviewer seemed a little shady), ive seen that they are probably not a good choice based on comments throughout the forum.

What about Edward Jones or First Command Financial? It seems like Nationwide is popular in Gainesville but there is no attraction there for me.

Last edited:
All name companies will only be as good as their local office. Look around, ask questions and get a feel. While NWM is an excellent company, I have no idea if the offices you're looking at are the same.

In any case in this business, when you go career office (Name company) your success or failure is based on those you work with on a daily basis, not home office.

Good luck.

I will check out the products that Edward Jones sells (do they have a strong area)?

How much did some of you have or how much would you suggest I save up to invest in the business starting off? I was initially thinking just to have a 3 Month reserve to take care of personal bills but did not take into account what I might want to spend on investing in the business.

My primary attraction to this industry above real estate was the long term opportunity i felt was better with residual etc over here? Is this a good deduction.

I will check out the products that Edward Jones sells (do they have a strong area)?

How much did some of you have or how much would you suggest I save up to invest in the business starting off? I was initially thinking just to have a 3 Month reserve to take care of personal bills but did not take into account what I might want to spend on investing in the business.

My primary attraction to this industry above real estate was the long term opportunity i felt was better with residual etc over here? Is this a good deduction.

EDJ pays a pretty good salary and office allowance for startups.

It looks like Edward Jones is primarily securities, exchange, commodities..they start you off getting series 7 instead of having you add it after some experience,. I'm still browsing the website but do they have insurance opportunity/products as well? Part of my motivation for the industry is the residual so based on what ive read so far the Life & Health sector seems to be a good match.

It looks like Edward Jones is primarily securities, exchange, commodities..they start you off getting series 7 instead of having you add it after some experience,. I'm still browsing the website but do they have insurance opportunity/products as well? Part of my motivation for the industry is the residual so based on what ive read so far the Life & Health sector seems to be a good match.

EDJ is not a place to sell insurance. Try Metlife. They do a salary for 19 weeks.

Back