Northwestern Mutual As a First Time Insurance Salesman?

No MetLife in Gainesville, Florida... what about Farm Bureau i think I am between them and Northwestern Mutual at this point?

Do not some of the others have a satelite office there somewhere? There maybe something there you are missing.

I think FB is decent.

When I searched MetLife there were some individual agent websites that came up would that be classified as a satelite? I was under the impression they were agents who had started/trained elsewhere or already had their license and selected a company to work with regardless of a major location in Gainesville.

Since you're new, you need to sit with several offices and decide exactly where you want to go, what you want to specialize in. Plus, it's just as much the individual office management as it is the company. You need to have a good idea of how much and how well you'll be trained.

Insurance companies are always looking for good people, so YOU have to interview THEM to find out if it's a good fit. Training and support are critical.

When I searched MetLife there were some individual agent websites that came up would that be classified as a satelite? I was under the impression they were agents who had started/trained elsewhere or already had their license and selected a company to work with regardless of a major location in Gainesville.

With MM and Guardian there can be a local agent who will take you under their wing even though there is not an office listed. Metlife and NYL both have offices in my town but you don't find that information on their websites. It lists the general offices which are 2 1/2 hours away. Call the general office listed for your area and see what they say as far as how someone is trained in Gainesville.

xrac said:
With MM and Guardian there can be a local agent who will take you under their wing even though there is not an office listed. Metlife and NYL both have offices in my town but you don't find that information on their websites. It lists the general offices which are 2 1/2 hours away. Call the general office listed for your area and see what they say as far as how someone is trained in Gainesville.

Make sure to ask lots of questions. When I was with NYL I was in a satelite office but was required to travel to the GO weekly for training 2 1/2 hours away for essentially an hour to hour and a half of training it wasted an entire day of the week unless I ran an appointment or two in the GOs area.

Seems like a pretty good deal I met with the Managing Director today and when I make it all the way through the 4 or 5 interviews I do my 40hrs of pre-licensing, electronic finger printing, and take the test (FL 2-15 Life Health & Annuities) and they reimburse after training. During the training a 4000$ allowance (made sure to ask if it was a draw or loan) then its off to the races 100% commission.

The plan is to get trained in Mid October.

Training is an hour&half away but it just so happens to be in my hometown so ill probably just hang out there and work on my clientele base there also

Last edited:
abcsales said:
NWM is really a class act, training is top notch. Much better place than Bankers.

I would have to say that NWM is heads and shoulders above Bankers. Having said that anyone interested in them should understand their Target market and be sure that's the type of person they can get in front of.

Back