Northwestern Mutual As a First Time Insurance Salesman?

Yeah its possible the program is different... I know this 16 week program is new, I'm the first in Wisconsin to go through it, so this could be down there now. I sent you an email with the info I have.

I don't think MetLife writes P&C in Florida anymore. If you want to get into P&C you need to hook up with an independent agency.

If I were you I would contact one of the agents in Florida (I found one in Orlando on a Google search) and ask her how to get in contact with her manager. I'm sure she would be more than willing to help you.

I don't think MetLife writes P&C in Florida anymore. If you want to get into P&C you need to hook up with an independent agency.

Are there any you would suggest for the Gainesville area? My roommate is looking into the industry as well.

TFord7 said:
Are there any you would suggest for the Gainesville area? My roommate is looking into the industry as well.

I don't personally know any but I am sure there are quite a few. Depends what market you want to get into; personal lines or commercial. Agencies will typically have a certain niche.

You need to decide if you want to get in P&C or L&H.

I was originally settled on L&H but as I read more & more on the forum it seems like P&C is the better long term residual opportunity

P&C is all about volume. Selling P&C a lot of times comes down to price. If you're able to attract a lot of P&C clients and keep them on the books then the residual income will be very nice. If P&C is what you want to sell, then being independent might be the best choice so you can shop the best prices for your clients rather than being captive to only a few providers. Your clients will leave if they do not feel like they're getting the best deal and then you lose all those residuals. P&C is a very competitve field that requires a lot of follow up and service work.

L&H is a totally different ball game. Have you thought about what kind of market you're trying to target?

TFord7 said:
I was originally settled on L&H but as I read more & more on the forum it seems like P&C is the better long term residual opportunity

If you don't need a lot of money or have money saved up I would take the position with North Western and use the great training to further your career. Likelihood is that you won't be there long. Or find an independent P&C agency that is willing to train you and pay you a decent percentage on new and renewal business.

I personally dislike the demeanor and attitude of the NWM agents I have met. Locally these guys all seem like pricks and seem to act like they are better than everyone else. They are also tight wades. Maybe I am wrong that is just me impression.

I personally dislike the demeanor and attitude of the NWM agents I have met. Locally these guys all seem like pricks and seem to act like they are better than everyone else. They are also tight wades. Maybe I am wrong that is just me impression.
Curious to know how many you've met? Lumping 7000 people into one category due to a few bad apples isn't really fair in my opinion.

We're not all alike, I promise. ;)

Back