NOT a political post but a legit question

When everyone complains about insurance discriminatory practices (against sick, the poor, the etc), I find it hypocritical that these programs are not scorned for doing the same thing, and in fact, are more discriminatory in many ways (religion, lifestyle, who you love). What ever happened to love thy neighbor.........?

Don't get me wrong, we need more choice or we need single payer. Status quo won't work.

When everyone complains about insurance discriminatory practices (against sick, the poor, the etc), I find it hypocritical that these programs are not scorned for doing the same thing, and in fact, are more discriminatory in many ways (religion, lifestyle, who you love). What ever happened to love thy neighbor.........?

Don't get me wrong, we need more choice or we need single payer. Status quo won't work.

I'm sorry, but you don't have all the information you need when you talk about single payer... you need to find somewhere else to grind your ax... been down that road for discussion too many times... mostly with people who are clueless to historical facts...

You repeat what you fail to know... do some studying about what you are talking about.

Insurance isn't designed to protect you... you will get sick, you will have accidents, you will die... insurance stops non of that... it provides a financial safety net (after the fact)

It is a financial ($$$) product designed to make money... how else do you think companies stay in business... :yes:

Tom, an FMO solicited me to write their plans. I asked if you had to be a Lutheran and was told "no". Is ANY religious affiliation required? Again, the answer was "no".
Hey Bob, that was a 10 second phone call. Nothing has changed with Thrivent, they still have the Christian common bond requirement.

Just as I thought, the FMO you were talking to is FOS and doesn't know what he's talking about.

As I said in my post, these people made their own choice, no need to be abusive towards them. Also, you do not know whether they understand it or not.

I do not think highly of agents who sell "non-insurance", because of experience.
I hold nothing against the people who buy it. Consumers who buy it usually do so on the advice of a "trusted advisor" of some type.

But myself, and many other agents on here, certainly do have experience with consumers understanding of these products.

Example: Accomplished CPA with a very small firm. Very smart, very successful, very religious. Went with a CSM on the advice of a local insurance agent who sold it to him... he trusted the agents "20 years of experience". This CPA also convinced all his employees to go with the CSM.

He recommended it to me one day over lunch... and also asked my opinion... I showed him the list of exclusions on his Plan. Then showed him the bold print saying "we are not legally obligated to pay any medical claim under this agreement".

He had no clue about any of it. He ASSUMED that "since it is like insurance, they are legally obligated to pay valid claims". He also was never told about most of the exclusions. He actually thought he could sue if they denied payment!

His initial response was that "they have always paid claims so far". But then said, "but I had no clue they had zero legal obligation to pay claims". The "agent" never told him any of that. And he never took the time to fully read the contract (like 99% of consumers).

---

Here is the issue, this is a totally unregulated product that masquerades as insurance. There are no laws or regulations requiring full disclosure by the person selling it. There are no laws or regulations period related to the business operations or consumer protections surrounding them.

I have spoken to many different people who thought Sharing Plans were regulated by the State DOI. (mainly consumers, but also a few new agents). Not one consumer I have spoken to who had it, knew about most of the exclusions, or that the plan had a legal right to deny any claim they choose to.

The agents who have experience with these plans being sold, see the huge danger they pose.

Last edited:
Back