NOT A US CITIZEN CAN SHE GET MEDICARE?

hartmichelle4

I have a client who is 65 and he is married to someone who will be turning 65 this year. She is not a US citizen. Can she get Medicare? If not and she is 65 can she stay on the ACA which she currently has. If not, then what can she do for insurance?

Hello! She can get Medicare Part B, but not Part A, because one of Part A's requirements is being a US citizen, and it is not offered to, and cannot be purchased by non-citizens. She can get Part B for a monthly premium. Conditions required to qualify are proof of being legally admitted into the US, proof of being legal at the time of application, and proof of being in the US legally for at least five consecutive years.

doing a little initial reading, I am not sure that is true.

How long have they been married?

How long have they lived in us as married couple (not necessarily consecutively)?

Is your client receiving social security (or is he eligible to)?
Did the spouse participate in a social security type system in her own country?

Last edited:
Hello! She can get Medicare Part B, but not Part A, because one of Part A's requirements is being a US citizen, and it is not offered to, and cannot be purchased by non-citizens. She can get Part B for a monthly premium. Conditions required to qualify are proof of being legally admitted into the US, proof of being legal at the time of application, and proof of being in the US legally for at least five consecutive years.

What you're saying is not entirely true. About Part A being only a US citizen.

I have several clients on disability and they are not citizens. They have both Part A & B. I have written Dual on some of them.
For one to qualify for part A. One has to have worked legally as non citizen for years to accumulate the social retirement. A legal non citizen qualifies for everything a citizen gets in regards to health and life insurance.
If she just moved to the State she can pay monthly for part A and B.

What you're saying is not entirely true. About Part A being only a US citizen.

I have several clients on disability and they are not citizens. They have both Part A & B. I have written Dual on some of them.
For one to qualify for part A. One has to have worked legally as non citizen for years to accumulate the social retirement. A legal non citizen qualifies for everything a citizen gets in regards to health and life insurance.
If she just moved to the State she can pay monthly for part A and B.

Not so much with Life Insurance.

Thank you for your help. She has been in the States since 2006, married 7/2006 and is receiving spousal benefits for SS. She has not worked here in the U.S. If she can get Part B (only) for a monthly fee (I think it's between $400-$500?) what happens if she needs to be hospitalized? She will be responsible for all hospital costs correct? She is currently on the ACA, if she chooses not to go with Part B her only other options are STM or one of the Christian Ministries? It sounds like she would be better off paying the Part B amount and paying the 20% copays?

Thank you for your help. She has been in the States since 2006, married 7/2006 and is receiving spousal benefits for SS. She has not worked here in the U.S. If she can get Part B (only) for a monthly fee (I think it's between $400-$500?) what happens if she needs to be hospitalized? She will be responsible for all hospital costs correct? She is currently on the ACA, if she chooses not to go with Part B her only other options are STM or one of the Christian Ministries? It sounds like she would be better off paying the Part B amount and paying the 20% copays?
Part B would be $135.50 a month. The $400-500 you refer to is what Part A would cost if you don't qualify to get Part A for free. It's actually up to $437 per month. :yes:

(Please note, I am not an insurance agent)

I don't have the time at the moment to go do the careful research and reading I would need to do for this, but the facts you posted above and an article I saw yesterday suggest to me that she can get both Part A and Part B.

You have a US residence and marriage of over 10 years in duration. She has apparently met qualifications for Social Security. I would think that qualifies her for both parts of Medicare. I don't know if the application in that situation requires more documentation or a special form.

(starting point for your research:
Medicare eligibility for non-U.S. citizens - Medicare Interactive )

Yes, they qualify absolutely. As long as they have the alien number (Naturalization # ) that permits them to work.
I have written whole life policies on non citizens.

Maybe with a few carriers - but, not all . . .

Back