NOT A US CITIZEN CAN SHE GET MEDICARE?

if a 76yr female widower arrives in us on a permanent resident visa (Green Card) some 8 months ago and needs medical insurance? what is their best options.
Does her healthcare fall all on the sponsorer of her green card.

if a 76yr female widower arrives in us on a permanent resident visa (Green Card) some 8 months ago and needs medical insurance? what is their best options.

In most cases health insurance falls under the sponsor. Depending on the relationship and age. At age 76 she will need to apply for Medicare part A and B and pay both monthly.

Thank you for all the feedback. She is taking her spouse's SS and she has never worked in the US so I'll do a little more checking and find out if she can pay for Part A. Thanks again for answering and if you come across anything else of value please send it along.

Again -- please note -- I am not an insurance agent.

Read page 3 and pp 4-5 about part B.
https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10043.pdf

Your statement about how she is receiving SS benefits suggests to me that she also meets the requirements for premium free part A expressed in bullet 3 on page 3.

If that is the case, then she would qualify for part B as stated at the bottom of page 4.

I would suggest calling social security and discussing this with them.

Please note I am not an insurance agent.

While looking for something for op, I ran across this article:
Can recent immigrants to the United States get health coverage if they’re over 65?

I have not read it carefully but it looked like it might provide some information for your situation.

Back