Not Divorced Yet... what Do You Do.

G.Gordon

Guru
1000 Post Club
Missouri
Applicant is not divo'd yet, but will be early in '16.

What do you report? They will not file together, but if we say married then it is a requirement.

She is already embedded in the app, can't delete the app, can't start a new one... tempted to start a whole new account.

Enroll them as married, not filing jointly, and thus not subsidy eligible.

When divorce is finalized, report the Life Change Event to the exchange, and get them both on separate plans (with subsidy, as applicable). When APTC is reconciled at tax time, they'll be reimbursed any subsidy they're entitled to but didn't receive. (Entitled to is key.)

Explain to the client that this is how the new health system works.

Or, you know, give them the phone number to the exchange and wish them luck.

That is what I did, Russel. They will be divo'd, are legally separated already, just a matter of time. The current on-x app had her info embedded so I used ACA Ex to shoot another app in on him and will drag it to his account later in the year.

That is what I did, Russel. They will be divo'd, are legally separated already, just a matter of time. The current on-x app had her info embedded so I used ACA Ex to shoot another app in on him and will drag it to his account later in the year.

Make sure there won't be a clawback of some type, Gordon. Wouldn't want to see both of them coming after you in early 2017. Did you list them as "Married Filing Jointly" for 2016 in ACA Express?

I hate this system that requires one to predict the future. It's a good thing we don't have to answer a "Is there anything you think we should know that could affect....?" question, like life insurance applications ask!

My understanding is you use what status they will be at end of tax year 2016.

Where did you get that from? Verbally or in writing? I had a client last yr decide not to include his wife on the plan, cause they were separated and getting divorced. They both must of realized the cost to them both if they divorced and now are back together, and of course she will pay a fine come APR or prob claim domestic abuse and get an exemption LOL.

Until they get divorced if they cant afford full freight, then they have to attest that they will file jointly unless divorced come tax time.

Personally, for the small commission you get on these health plans now vs liability however small or large (percieved) I would just tell them Healthcare.gov handles all such cases directly.

Back