Not Everyone Should Be an Insurance Agent....

scooter33

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
There is a reason why 80+% people who attempt a career in the insurance business fail. I've been reading some of the posts from people seeking out advice on how to start an insurance agency, what cluster should I join, etc.... In my opinion, the first thing you need to do is really know yourself and make sure this is something you are capable of doing.

I started my agency four years ago and it has been the one of the most challenging but most rewarding things I have done in my life.

Some reasons why I think people fail...
-They do this just for the money
-They do this so they can have more free time with friends and family
-They think it is easy
-They do this because they are good in sales
-They under estimate how much money it takes to start

I do not claim to be an expert. However, I do know what it takes to start a scratch agency. I do know how scary it was my first year and how many nights I did not sleep. So, if you have any questions about becoming an insurance agent....ask. I am an open book!

I've read a few comments by you bashing clusters, and specifically SIAA because of their fees. I have also read that you only made $25k gross commission the first year.

I am with SIAA and in my first 9 months made more than double that. This, while working from home by myself. I am not a good "salesman", but having access to many good carriers has helped tremendously.

Stop naysaying something you don't know about. Just because you chose to do it the hard way, doesn't mean it's the right way. I don't want someone to read your posts and believe that they shouldn't look into all options. Doesn't mean a cluster is the right way for everyone, but people should at least look into all options.

Please give me advice on how to run an agency and get appointments with good carriers?!

I've read a few comments by you bashing clusters, and specifically SIAA because of their fees. I have also read that you only made $25k gross commission the first year. I am with SIAA and in my first 9 months made more than double that. This, while working from home by myself. I am not a good "salesman", but having access to many good carriers has helped tremendously. Stop naysaying something you don't know about. Just because you chose to do it the hard way, doesn't mean it's the right way. I don't want someone to read your posts and believe that they shouldn't look into all options. Doesn't mean a cluster is the right way for everyone, but people should at least look into all options. Please give me advice on how to run an agency and get appointments with good carriers?!
Just telling people my experience. Nothing wrong with that! People need to know the pros and cons. Most clusters are set up to help the master agency and screw the agency they work for. They go after start up or low producing agencies that can't get appointments on thier own.

Just telling people my experience. Nothing wrong with that! People need to know the pros and cons. Most clusters are set up to help the master agency and screw the agency they work for. They go after start up or low producing agencies that can't get appointments on thier own.

I agree, nothing wrong with expressing your opinion. But you sound like you have an agenda, you are not stating the pro's, only what you consider cons. It's not that they go after start up or low producing agencies, it's that that's the type of agency that would benefit and need the help of being part of the cluster. I agree, if one is able to get appointments with good carriers then a cluster is not needed.

I agree, nothing wrong with expressing your opinion. But you sound like you have an agenda, you are not stating the pro's, only what you consider cons. It's not that they go after start up or low producing agencies, it's that that's the type of agency that would benefit and need the help of being part of the cluster. I agree, if one is able to get appointments with good carriers then a cluster is not needed.

No agenda here....it seems clusters are the wave right now. I do think people should know there are other options. If they plan on growing, make sure to look at other options.

----------

No agenda here....it seems clusters are the wave right now. I do think people should know there are other options. If they plan on growing, make sure to look at other options.

I should add... This is gross, not net. I'm sure people that are not familiar with being a business owner will think 25k a month is rich. By the time you add your overhead, salary for staff, taxes....nothing close to 25k.

Too many people want a pay check but do not know how or lack the desire to really work hard.

Too many people want a pay check but do not know how or lack the desire to really work hard.

I would 100% agree with that. In the last few years, I have interviewed dozens of people and hired and fired a handful of people. Most people have no drive and a sense of entitlement. No wonder why our county is falling behind!

I would 100% agree with that. In the last few years, I have interviewed dozens of people and hired and fired a handful of people. Most people have no drive and a sense of entitlement. No wonder why our county is falling behind!

Very few wannabe insurance agents really work hard. They surf the internet a lot and shuffle paper and post on forums.

Back