Ny Insurance Questions ...

Mika123

Hello, I have a few questions abt individual health plans, my husband is self employed and I am a stay at home mom.

we used to have HealthyNY Oxford Liberty but it got cancelled Dec 31, I called many brokers but seen our income the best deal was (unfortunately) through the Marketplace with a $500 tax credit. Still expensive!

My son was put on Child Health Plus but none of the pediatrician I called in Manhattan accepts it (why?? Considering on LI drs take CHP no problem).
After arguing with the reps at the Marketplace I was able to get my son enrolled on United For Children.

So now we all have United Gold, although my husband and I have one plan and our son is separate full price.

The Marketplace website said that the Silver plan has a deductible of 250/500 (which sounds awfully wrong) while the gold is 600 per person, can anybody tell me why is that? Is a silver plan better than a gold?

I have so many more questions.

Also, I understand Obama s coming up with a new thing that would let people get their old insurance back? Is that true? Is that only for 1 year?

Thanks

Oh goodness...the woman needs help. Be nice.

1. If you do not want you son on a "government" plan, then you have done the right thing. Its a pain to be on two separate plans, but it would be the same if you worked outside the home and you had your employer plan and your son was on your husbands. (I am actually pretty impressed you got him off the government plan!)

2. The metallic plans, from highest to lowest deductible are bronze-silver-gold (just like the olympics) BUT, it sounds like (no promises) that your income allows for a silver plan with not only lower a premium, but also a lower deductible. I think (I am by no means an exchange expert) that lower deductibles only applies to silver plans. So even though gold plans are "better", your income can give you a lower deductible on silver plans.

3. There is a lot of discussion and/or executive orders regarding plans that were in place prior to 1/1/14. Just because an executive order was issued doesn't mean multiple insurance companies in 50 states can reverse the termination of millions of policies overnight. If you want to find out if your pre-ACA policy can be reinstated back to 1/1, I would call the previous carrier.

You might also contact your Department of Insurance (no clue what it is called in NY, but I am sure you can research it) and see what your options are.

Good luck!

P.S. To find a health insurance agent, you can search online at nahu.org, nipr.com or contact your financial planner or car/homeowners agent. Or post it in FB and see if any of your friends know someone.

Back