O.K....Give Me The Straight P@@P!

muffy432002

I am a 48 y/o degreed woman, married with three children. I come from a sales background (retail, straight commission, luxury goods) and am considering a career change to selling insurance. Even with a good run in the retail sector I would really like to escape from the working nights and weekends scene. My work/life balance is out of whack and I am getting tired of working for someone else. Also, retail takes its toll on one's body. I just can't see me doing it til I retire. I want to reinvent myself! With these concerns in mind, how many of you work weekends/nights? What about management hounding you about making your goals etc...Can you lose you job if you aren't producing or is it just "self-correcting"? Do you have to report to an office or can you work from home? Telecommuting would be optimal with gas prices so high. Are you salaried or straight commission? What about benefits? Thanks in advance?

The best thing for you to do is read the threads on this site. There are so many ways to go. You can do it any way you want. I stay home and market to seniors around the state. I get paid per application. Since I work at home I can wander in and out of my office. So yes, I will call eve and Sat am.

I want to reinvent myself! With these concerns in mind, how many of you work weekends/nights?
It all depends upon the market that you choose to work. If you do not want to work nights or weekends I would aim for either the business or seniors markets. With business you will almost never work appointments weekends or evenings. If you work the senior market you may have to do occasional evening or weekends but not too often. That is my experience.

.....What about management hounding you about making your goals etc...Can you lose you job if you aren't producing or is it just "self-correcting"?
Depends upon who you are working for. You probably won't be hounded unless you are captive and on some type of salary or draw. Then if you don't produce they will be on you and yes you can be terminated.

Do you have to report to an office or can you work from home? Telecommuting would be optimal with gas prices so high.
The answer is yes and yes depending upon who you go with. You may have to report to an office if you are captive and you can telecommute if you do what some on this forum are doing. Read all of the posts you can and soak up the answers. You need information and understanding before you do anything.

Are you salaried or straight commission? What about benefits? Thanks in advance?
Most are straight commission. A few companies like Combined, AIG, Western Southern, or Metlife may pay a small salary at the start. Some offer a draw. The answer on benefits is yes and no, it all depends on whether you are a captive employee or 1099 or who you are working for or with.

However hard you are working now, you may go through a period of years in this field where you will work even harder for fewer dollars while you and the market figure out if you are or are not part of the 90% that do not make it. You may also be very successful, but I think you are at higher risk if one of your goals is to work less from the get-go. If you are owned lock, stock, and barrel by a company now and want more flexibility then probably that is achievable right off, as long as you use that flexibility to work all the time :)

Winter

I am a 48 y/o degreed woman, married with three children. I come from a sales background (retail, straight commission, luxury goods) and am considering a career change to selling insurance. Even with a good run in the retail sector I would really like to escape from the working nights and weekends scene. My work/life balance is out of whack and I am getting tired of working for someone else. Also, retail takes its toll on one's body. I just can't see me doing it til I retire. I want to reinvent myself! With these concerns in mind, how many of you work weekends/nights? What about management hounding you about making your goals etc...Can you lose you job if you aren't producing or is it just "self-correcting"? Do you have to report to an office or can you work from home? Telecommuting would be optimal with gas prices so high. Are you salaried or straight commission? What about benefits? Thanks in advance?

The best thing for you to do is read the threads on this site. There are so many ways to go. You can do it any way you want. I stay home and market to seniors around the state. I get paid per application. Since I work at home I can wander in and out of my office. So yes, I will call eve and Sat am.

Rabbi, you sly devil!!

Your own website...

Why didn't you call it rabbiinsurance.com? Now THAT domain has character.

Are you sure you want to include the picture? :D

would you like to talk about insurance while you are working....

Sorry...I don't understand...If you are asking will I still be working my Neimans job, I don't know. I don't see how I can do both with my crazy hours. That's why I asked about a salary. I read that Prudential pays a small salary of about $400 weekly for 10 weeks. That would be a stretch but I could live on that for a while combined with my husband's income.:nah:

Back