Obama Care Rate Increases

Dalefanatic

So my wife and I are self employed make less thank 30,00 a year and income fluctuates in a year to year basis and o did I mentions she is pregnant. We had Obama cars for 2016 with help with tax credits which as a great help but for 2017 I found out our rates have nearly tripled up to the pint were we will be paying up 300 for premium costs. Now let's not forget that we make less than 30000 a year and that fluctuates, I can't afford to pay 300 a month for insurance. O and they said now my wife qualifies for badger care So that's all fine and stuff but for a single person me who has to get coverage or pay a tax penalty is ridiculous The amount of 300 dollars a month is so unaffordable for our family. sorry but I can't afford that so my wife and I decided that for the 2017 year I go with out the insurance and we'll pay the 700 tax penalty and maybe next year revisit it and pray to god that we qualify for some tax credits. Ugh I really hate ACA I understand it's needed but the hike that it increased to and how it works against husbands with pregnant wife's is so unfair. When we even shopped around most rates were over 300 dollars. There got to be a better way. Our budget is tight to begin with I would have to get another job just to pay for the high cost of insurance and what guarantees do I have that it won't go up again for the following year? For making everyone have the ACA it sure doesn't seems very helpful for people when they jack up the rates. So upset

Sir, a Wisconsin agent needs to help you. We have several here on this forum who are very knowledgeable. When the premium goes up, most often the subsidy goes up too, so that your net premium is affordable. The fact that she was sent to Badger Care does make a difference, but there is still a good chance that subsidies (done properly) will help your net premium decrease to an affordable level.

Once your wife gives birth and you add your baby to your coverage, your subsidy should be increased quite a bit.

Your net (after subsidy) premium will be lower for the rest of the year.

Also when you file taxes for tax year 2017, you should be credited with the "excess" premium you paid earlier in the year. You will be a three person household for all of 2017 as far as the IRS is concerned.

Congratulations on your upcoming blessed event.

Whoever you spoke with gave incredibly bad advice.

I don't have your ages or zip codes but here's a link to quotes for two 30 year olds in Wisconsin making $30,000, it sends your wife to Badger Care but your premium is under $125: https://www.healthsherpa.com/find-plans/plans?zip_code=53001&fip_code=55117&people=[30a,30rb]&size=2&income=30000&cs=premium&year=2017&page=1&locale=en

If that isn't correct, clicking 'Edit My Details' will show you everything you need to see in seconds.

I'm not licensed in Wisconsin but the best agent on this forum (and maybe anywhere) who is located in Wisconsin posts under the name 'HealthGuy', if you send him a private message maybe he will have time to help you.

Good morning. I hope all is well & congratulations to you & your wife. I have two grown boys and now leave next to my two granddaughters. Nothing better. I agree with the prior posts. You need to work with a broker in your area. HealthGuy is a wonderful resource. You can also go to the HealthCare.Gov & search for local help for an agent near you. I am in Missouri & was able to renew all of my clients with less than a 5% increase if not a decrease in the rates. The rates are increasing across the board both on and off the Exchange. Unfortunately that is the nature of our business. It would help if all of the populace was covered (what was originally intended), so the carriers weren't faced with an adverse selection situation. We'll see what the new administration brings. I am not licensed in Wisconsin but would be happy to answer any general questions you may have. Again congratulations on the upcoming addition to the family!

Back