Obama to lower premiums by $2500

Winter_123

Guru
5000 Post Club
NYT: Obama's health care pledge unrealistic? - The New York Times - MSNBC.com

The New York Times is actively campaigning for Obama but even they cannot fathom how it could work.

His voo doo math assumes a 6-8% reduction in health care costs over four years and then assumes that it will all be passed along to the consumer. I would have to look at it again but I dont think he took inflation into account either, so a 6-8% reduction might not be any reduction at all.

But he is going to be elected with a mandate to do this or something like it. Unfortunately, the less realistic it becomes, the more he will just fiddle and tinker with the pieces as an attempt to show some progress (ie. tax credits coupled with guaranteed issue etc.)

Yes, we can. Whatever that means.

Winter

Winter:

Sometimes I get the feeling you're not supporting Obama.

Rick

I wasn't a big fan of Che Guevara either, although his economic reforms did have some impact- they spawned a whole cottage industry for tee shirts.

Winter

This is almost funny. A significant portion of the savings will come from computerized health care records. Now, I might be a bit behind the times, but many places have already implemented this AND I don't think it saves much money, probably actually costs a lot (which is actually mentioned in the article, the $77B savings will cost $50B to obtain).

The healthcare industry definitely needs some incentives to trim the fat, but I'm not sure the government has a good track record of making this happen.

Dan

P.S. $46B comes out of our pockets, according to the plan.

NYT: Obama's health care pledge unrealistic? - The New York Times - MSNBC.com

The New York Times is actively campaigning for Obama but even they cannot fathom how it could work. His voo doo math assumes a 6-8% reduction in health care costs over four years and then assumes that it will all be passed along to the consumer. I would have to look at it again but I dont think he took inflation into account either, so a 6-8% reduction might not be any reduction at all. But he is going to be elected with a mandate to do this or something like it. Unfortunately, the less realistic it becomes, the more he will just fiddle and tinker with the pieces as an attempt to show some progress (ie. tax credits coupled with guaranteed issue etc.) Yes, we can. Whatever that means.

Winter

Tell me the last time the government did anything that it cost us less?

Any savings will go into some $50 million CEO's pocket not Joe Blow making $12/hr at the gas station.

That is - if there were any savings, which there is not.

This is almost funny. A significant portion of the savings will come from computerized health care records.

Dan

And we all know how secure government electronic records are. Did you know medical identity theft is one of the fastest growing ID theft crimes out there? Imagine if the government had a huge database with all of our records in it. What a nightmare that would be...

But he is brilliant.....
The average voter doesn't bother to ask how something will be done, just wants to know that the attempt will be made.

If you say you'll save everyone $2500 on health stuff, through out something to say how, people will think that's great. These are the same people who only pay about $500 a year total, since they are covered under an employer paid health plan. Don't ask how they will save $2500 a year when they aren't paying it, but somehow, people will believe it.

Probably 50% of the people who pay their own health coverage can save close to $2500 a year by optimizing their health plan.

Dan

Probably 50% of the people who pay their own health coverage can save close to $2500 a year by optimizing their health plan.
This would require 2 things...

1. Personal responsibility and paying your bills.

2. Medically qualifying

How dare they decline someone and segregate the sick. I am writing my congressman.

Back