Obama Wants to Cut Medicare Part B Drugs

somarco

GA Medicare Expert
5000 Post Club
Atlanta
The Obama administration has proposed regulatory changes in payment for Medicare Part B drugs. They’re looking to impose a broad, multi-year change through a demonstration project.

Obama's Medicare Executive Overreach

This "project" will move as many medications as possible from Part B to Part D.
Mostly cancer drugs, other infusion therapy and insulin (where a pump is involved).

CMS newsletter link
https://www.cms.gov/Newsroom/MediaReleaseDatabase/Fact-sheets/2016-Fact-sheets-items/2016-03-08.html

The Obama administration has proposed regulatory changes in payment for Medicare Part B drugs. They’re looking to impose a broad, multi-year change through a demonstration project.

Obama's Medicare Executive Overreach

This "project" will move as many medications as possible from Part B to Part D.
Mostly cancer drugs, other infusion therapy and insulin (where a pump is involved).

CMS newsletter link
https://www.cms.gov/Newsroom/MediaReleaseDatabase/Fact-sheets/2016-Fact-sheets-items/2016-03-08.html

So, doctors lose the fees they collect for the infusion, as I understand it.

Part D, each carrier has to negotiate drug prices, not sure if that would help or hurt patients.

Without turning this into yet another "I hate Obama" thread...

1. There's no date for implementation. Why? And when should we expect it?

2. This is a massive cost shift to Seniors. Where is AARP? Right now, assuming F, G, or N, you are basically getting Chemo drugs at 100% after $166. Moving them to Part D, is going to put these people into the catastrophic level in 30 days. Which is great and all, except the 5% of a $10K month Chemo drug is $500 a month with no OOP .

Yeah. Not happy. This is crap.

The Grey Panthers need to rise up on this one.

I have at least 3 clients on anti-rejection meds that cost them nothing, a few more on chemo, and one hemophiliac I know of that will be hurt by this if/when it happens.

Don't know if AARP is involved in this fight or not.

Without turning this into yet another "I hate Obama" thread... 1. There's no date for implementation. Why? And when should we expect it? 2. This is a massive cost shift to Seniors. Where is AARP? Right now, assuming F, G, or N, you are basically getting Chemo drugs at 100% after $166. Moving them to Part D, is going to put these people into the catastrophic level in 30 days. Which is great and all, except the 5% of a $10K month Chemo drug is $500 a month with no OOP . Yeah. Not happy. This is crap. The Grey Panthers need to rise up on this one.

Where is AARP? They are getting their money vaults cleared out for all the extra money they will make. Where do you think they are?

Apparenly AARP is in FAVOR of this test.

AARP supports The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services’ (CMS) demonstration project that modifies how Medicare pays for certain prescription drugs administered by physicians and other clinicians.

AARP Supports CMS

The very best news is that Obama is a lame duck and no much will be accomplished the remainder of his term.

Apparenly AARP is in FAVOR of this test. AARP Supports CMS

You guys realize what AARP is don't you?

AARP makes money marketing insurance products to seniors. They are always going to be in favor of anything that takes a burden off Medicare and puts it on the consumer. The consumer will buy insurance to cover it and that's where AARP makes their money.

Back