Obamacare

never happen, we all need to relax, things will be fine. even with a gi mandate. advance agents and companies like mega and ua and goofy plans like that will be a thing of the past, but we, the broker will be fine..

never happen, we all need to relax, things will be fine. even with a gi mandate. advance agents and companies like mega and ua and goofy plans like that will be a thing of the past, but we, the broker will be fine..

Those of use who are in guaranteed issue states are certainly not fine now. The independent market is non-existent outside of mega. So I just dont see how it will all be fine under a national plan or any variation thereof that contains guaranteed issue.

I know that this is a well worn discussion but the time is coming so the issues are upon us.

I will ask again and again. Who is a health agent here from a guaranteed issue state and doing well in that market? I am actually looking to get into that market, although only a foot in the water type of thing, when it comes so would be willing to learn how you are succeeding. I certainly dont see it where I am. Everything is either a group plan or an online sign up with Anthem or insurance is non-affordable.

Again, if you see guranteed issue agents making it somewhere tell us so we can mix that into the discussion. Not talking about independents who write some policies to help exisiting clients even though it is not profitable. I am asking about independent health agents succeeding in a guaranteed issue state. Who is doing that? Do tell.

I didn't know that Kosova was a GI state, Winter... The things that a guy can learn on the forum are astounding. My IQ has been suffering while the forum was face down in the dirt, so now I can begin to rebuild the knowledge base.

As for Gov't run health care, it certainly looks like it is going to happen, as the hierarchy is going to take advantage of this crisis and not miss out on the oppty; (per Rohm E.). Seeings how the Congress has decimated the financials by their vast knowledge of all things, they will make quick work of the ins industry just the same.

The irresponsible mind (ie Congress) never seems to anticipate the unintended consequences before it is too late... they have to make every mistake just to prove that it can be done... The residual economic effect of health insurance as we know it being removed or replaced from the economy will pretty much finish us off, IMO.

We may all be in Kosova before this is over...

Do you really honestly think that conglomerates like Aetna, UHC, and Humana would allow Obama to put them out of business. I dont think so theyd hire Blackwater to stage a coup (as in 24- Starkwood) before they allowed that to happen.

As usual the rich will prosper its a sleight of hand. Always watch for mirrors when you see smoke.

Obama is just the latest puppet controlled by the same corporations that controlled GWB he merely appears different, a kinder gentler more eloquent more multicultural face but watch as the bankers and the insurers get rich. Newest evolution will be TARP for insurers. They are now floating that trial balloon.

As for Gov't run health care, it certainly looks like it is going to happen, as the hierarchy is going to take advantage of this crisis and not miss out on the oppty; (per Rohm E.). Seeings how the Congress has decimated the financials by their vast knowledge of all things, they will make quick work of the ins industry just the same.

Yup, that hits the mark.

My take is that there's going to be change of some kind - there's just too much energy for it. What shape it might take is still tbd, but as they are looking to take cost out of it, I don't think that bodes well for the future of agents involved in this market.

Even the biggest tradegroup (AHIP) is caving in a little. They know if they don't, they're going to be legislated on... (and they may be anyway)

Most will waste time, energy and resources trying to protect the status quo. Eventually they will die. Some will adapt, and thrive within whatever the new rules are.

Do you really honestly think that conglomerates like Aetna, UHC, and Humana would allow Obama to put them out of business. I dont think so theyd hire Blackwater to stage a coup (as in 24- Starkwood) before they allowed that to happen.

No. Au contraire. I think they would collaborate with the government to agree to support guaranteed issue in return for mandatory coverage. And indeed that process is well under way.

Regular viewers know that I have consistently stated for years that I believe that guaranteed issue is coming. I do not however think that government run health care is coming. Admittedly, as with medicare advantage there will be so much oversight and interference that it will walk and talk like government run.

I also do not believe that there is any mystery about what is coming. I think we are looking at guaranteed issue, but probably without mandatory coverage. Instead the government will establish "creditable plans" or the like which it will subsidize and/or allow tax credits for. And then carriers can develop such plans that qualify and consumers can choose to go with them or to a non qualified plan but it will be wired so that no one would want to go elsewhere. That is what I see coming. I dont see single payor, medicare for all or that, although it will come close.

My view anyway but I have been wrong about several things already today.

Last edited:

In a word, yes.

Not that "24" hasn't been fun to watch, but we all know the ultimate outcome.

Angelina Jolie looks more and more like her daddy every day.

Back