Objection Response to "thought it was for a free benefit"

jasperjohns

Super Genius
Florida
How do you handle DM respondents that say, "I thought this was for a free benefit". Besides pointing to the card and reading the phrase life insurance off of the card. Specifically what do you say and how do you simply bring the conversation back to your presentation or next step. This would be at the very beginning of the call or meeting.

How do you handle DM respondents that say, "I thought this was for a free benefit". Besides pointing to the card and reading the phrase life insurance off of the card. Specifically what do you say and how do you simply bring the conversation back to your presentation or next step. This would be at the very beginning of the call or meeting.
The information is free.. What you choose to do with it is up to you.

Mr. Johns, I have had the same thing happen selling mortgage protection. Other than my sheer amazement that people can be that dumb, I have very little luck selling to these types of people. I have often wondered if they really think it's free or it's a dodge just to keep us from closing.

After all, the "I thought it was free" throws most agents, including me. The next thing that seems to come out of their mouth is "if it costs anything, I don't want it."

I always remember my mentors words in such cases:

"Remember, 10% of the American people reserve the right to remain stupid."

Maybe the best best plan of action is simply ask: Do you want to cover your funeral expenses yourself or make your family pay for your "free" funeral?

Remember Mr. Johns, it's not you, it's them and as good an agent as you are, sometimes you just can't fix stupid.

Mr. Johns, I have had the same thing happen selling mortgage protection. Other than my sheer amazement that people can be that dumb, I have very little luck selling to these types of people. I have often wondered if they really think it's free or it's a dodge just to keep us from closing.

After all, the "I thought it was free" throws most agents, including me. The next thing that seems to come out of their mouth is "if it costs anything, I don't want it."

I always remember my mentors words in such cases:

"Remember, 10% of the American people reserve the right to remain stupid."

Maybe the best best plan of action is simply ask: Do you want to cover your funeral expenses yourself or make your family pay for your "free" funeral?

Remember Mr. Johns, it's not you, it's them and as good an agent as you are, sometimes you just can't fix stupid.

You say a lot of stupid stuff, but everyone once in a while something good comes out.

This was definitely one of the better responses. "I thought this was free" is often a polite way of saying, "Please leave." It got rid of agents in the past and they are hoping it will work again.

If you want to learn how to sell people who actively don't want it, then I'd pick something that doesn't depend upon repeat payments.

You say a lot of stupid stuff, but everyone once in a while something good comes out.

This was definitely one of the better responses. "I thought this was free" is often a polite way of saying, "Please leave." It got rid of agents in the past and they are hoping it will work again.

If you want to learn how to sell people who actively don't want it, then I'd pick something that doesn't depend upon repeat payments.
I'm sorry you feel that my responses are stupid and I say a lot of them. I really don't need to be on the forum. I used to look for new offers for my agents but I haven't seen much "new" in a while. I think it's probably better to to check the forum every year or so than to post. It seems that many agents are trolling for an online fight.

I would hate to think my stupid responses are unhelpful to agents. VolAgent I wish you the all the best and good selling.

I guess my first question is what were they given to give them that idea? Is the direct mail card over promising? I mean not the first time that's happened is it?

Or did the prospect confuse this with another?

Then I would have to ask how good a prospect is this going to be. Lots of agents go out of business trying to overcome objections. I don't put my backside anywhere where there isn't a clear understanding of why I am there. Chargebacks are a biotch or how ever you want to express it.

If they don't know why you're there, why are you there?

This is boarder line phrase to use...but it may buy you enough time to build a little rapport and do a financial inventory so you have a chance to help the family.

"I thought it was a free benefit"

It depends on what you qualify for, is there somewhere we can sit down. It takes about 10 minutes.

Back