Objections to a Home Office...

Nikita

Guru
100+ Post Club
I have had pretty good luck calling t-65 lists but one problem I encounter when I call local people is that they ask me where my office is located. I work out of my home because I travel alot to the outlying rural areas and at this point I don't want to pay rent on an empty office or hire a receptionist to sit there and do nothing. But when potential clients learn that I don't have an "official" office, I have had a few people hang up or from their response it's obvious they do not give me credibility because of that reason. Any suggestions on how to handle this?

I have had pretty good luck calling t-65 lists but one problem I encounter when I call local people is that they ask me where my office is located. I work out of my home because I travel alot to the outlying rural areas and at this point I don't want to pay rent on an empty office or hire a receptionist to sit there and do nothing. But when potential clients learn that I don't have an "official" office, I have had a few people hang up or from their response it's obvious they do not give me credibility because of that reason. Any suggestions on how to handle this?
Initially I was allowed to use office space by one of the financial advisers I cross refer with. Now I contract with an on demand business center that rents space by the hour.

I have worked out of my home for many years. Yes, I've gotten this question. I never 'really' answer it. "I have an office off LBJ and X Street. I'm in and out of there for training, meetings, etc. Most of the time I'm in the field, though, and only spend a few hours a week in the office."

You can 'borrow' offices i.e., the Regional carrier's office just like you can borrow other people's stories. It works!

Just respond confidently, tell them where your work from, the nearest intersection. What do you think they will do, google map you? They prob just want to know if you are local or if you are In another country, like the last person they talked to on the phone

Just remember, the person asking the questions is in control of the conversation. If they ask you a question, answer it, but add a question to your response and lead the conversation.

Just respond confidently, tell them where your work from, the nearest intersection. What do you think they will do, google map you? They prob just want to know if you are local or if you are In another country, like the last person they talked to on the phone Just remember, the person asking the questions is in control of the conversation. If they ask you a question, answer it, but add a question to your response and lead the conversation.

Even if you had an office, my personal opinion is office meetings SUCK. So tell them you are coming over to their house!

I tell them that my car is my office, and I make house calls.

I did have quite a few T-65's last year that wanted to meet in a restaurant instead of their home. A couple of them said they had too many dogs for me to come over.

I tell them that my car is my office, and I make house calls. I did have quite a few T-65's last year that wanted to meet in a restaurant instead of their home. A couple of them said they had too many dogs for me to come over.

When they want to meet somewhere else it's usually because they are hoarders and they know how bad the house is

The solution is so simple it hurts: Just lie about having an office.

Don't worry, they aren't going to bother driving there.

The solution is so simple it hurts: Just lie about having an office.

Don't worry, they aren't going to bother driving there.

Actually that's not such a good idea. I live in a small town. One time I tried that. The person asked to meet me in my office, they didn't want to meet at their house. They were adamant about meeting in my office. That didn't work out very well....

----------

I have worked out of my home for many years. Yes, I've gotten this question. I never 'really' answer it. "I have an office off LBJ and X Street. I'm in and out of there for training, meetings, etc. Most of the time I'm in the field, though, and only spend a few hours a week in the office."

You can 'borrow' offices i.e., the Regional carrier's office just like you can borrow other people's stories. It works!

I have an attorney friend who I am going to approach and see if I could use one of his offices. This is a small town. ..there is no regional office here and you can't get away with lying in this small of a community. ..

Last edited:
Actually that's not such a good idea. I live in a small town. One time I tried that. The person asked to meet me in my office, they didn't want to meet at their house. They were adamant about meeting in my office. That didn't work out very well....

----------

I have an attorney friend who I am going to approach and see if I could use one of his offices. This is a small town. ..there is no regional office here and you can't get away with lying in this small of a community. ..

It will not come up that often: just be honest .... 'most' independent agents work out of their home. It's nothing to be ashamed of.

Latest posts

Back