Obligation to Report Accident

cajun46

Hi. A family member was in an accident, no other parties involved. No property damage or police report. Only damage is to the car that is more than 1K. Since they only have liability insurance, are they legally obligated to report it to insurance even when they won't be able to claim anything? What about the SR-71 form? If they fill out an SR-71 form, does that go back to insurance anyway?

Hi. A family member was in an accident, no other parties involved. No property damage or police report. Only damage is to the car that is more than 1K. Since they only have liability insurance, are they legally obligated to report it to insurance even when they won't be able to claim anything? What about the SR-71 form? If they fill out an SR-71 form, does that go back to insurance anyway?

What caused the damage to the car? If it was from hitting something or driving through a ditch, then the law might require a police report. However, i don't see why you would notify you insurance carrier other than to inform them of a potential liability or property damage claim

They said it was a freeway wall and there was no damage, maybe a few scratches. Police showed up to help get the car towed out of the way. Was asked if they wanted to file a traffic report, and they declined.

are they legally obligated to report it to insurance even when they won't be able to claim anything? What about the SR-71 form? If they fill out an SR-71 form, does that go back to insurance anyway?

This is an insurance forum, not a law forum. I would suggest looking up your state laws and reading the insurance policies. Some insurers require the claim to be reported regardless of liability or fault as part of the policy provisions.

SR-71 is a cold war era fighter jet. I assume you mean an SR-22 form. An SR-22 form is usually ordered by a judge or your states DMV. This is usually required if you're considered a high risk, the state wants to make sure you're maintaining financial responsibility for others on the road. Considering your insurance company issues the filing to the state, yes they will know.

Back