Obtain Insurance Before Treatment?

nooIns3

My family is about to grow, so I'm starting to think about life insurance (for the first time). I've a couple medical issues which I've been thinking about addressing, but haven't - 1) perennial allergies refractory to treatment 2) possible neurological issues.

I work for myself, but may start to look for a job. A couple questions:
1) If I decide buy term life while self-employed, would I be better off waiting to address my medical problems until some time passes after I've already had a policy? I'm trying not to get disqualified or ripped off b/c of a pre-existing condition.
2) If a company which hires me offers life insurance as part of the benefits package, would similar exclusions apply?

If you get hired .. you shouldn't have a problem .. the only thing is once you're out of that job.. you no longer have insurance..

You're not getting ripped off for having a pre -existing condition.. that's just the way insurance works.. you're not going to get cheap car insurance if you have an accident.

Your best bet would be to look for a simplified issue term.. meaning no exam .. but if you have a procedure scheduled already .. the insurnace company might want to wait for the result

If it is in your medical records that you have a neurological issue that needs to be addressed, you're probably too late for coverage until it's addressed.

No exam companies still ask questions about medical history.
What type of neurological issue?

If you receive group coverage through work, there is usually an amount of coverage that you can receive without underwriting (1-2x salary)...beyond that and they start asking questions.

Back