Obtaining Nj Auto Carriers (personal & Commercial)

Nj.agent

Expert
Hello everyone,
Im new to the forum, ive been reading posts and see alot of great members on the forum. I had to register.
I want to sell insurance from scratch without an office for now.
can you suggest some carriers that are easier to get for a new agency? Im thinking progressive will be easy, Im going to contact them this week.
thank you!

Hello everyone,
Im new to the forum, ive been reading posts and see alot of great members on the forum. I had to register.
I want to sell insurance from scratch without an office for now.
can you suggest some carriers that are easier to get for a new agency? Im thinking progressive will be easy, Im going to contact them this week.
thank you!

Welcome to the forum.

I have a thread up in the "get started selling insurance" section for new agents and people who are becoming independent. Maybe it will help you out!

do you have prior insurance experience?

Ncagent,
Thank you.
Ive read your post it was one of the most helpful Ive read. I will re-read it.
I have 2 years experience working at a commercial insurance agency. All we sold was truck insurance and he had 4 mgas and progressive and we were competative. Some workers comp was sold too.
Now I work at auto auctions for a auto transport company as a operations manager and at a used car dealer. So im surrounded by transportation risks and im comfortable and knowelgeable about them.
Thank you.

GMAC might help you then as well. Don't forget to charge fees for the people buying at an auto dealership to help make up for the turnover rate in the book.

Whats gmac? And charge a fee on there insurance if there from the dealership?

go on and google and learn about charging agency fees. it appears that you might be benefited more from working under another agency, it seems that you are asking questions a newer agent would be asking rather than an experienced one.

No offense intended by that, but being an agency owner is sink-or-swim. If you feel you have too many questions, then go find someone else to help you with being an agency owner. It's hard for some people to turn from salesperson to business owner.

Thank you.
no offense taken, I still have much to learn. alot...
I have an interview Monday for a craigslist ad that was looking for a commercial insurance agent. I checked out his companies site they sell all insurance health and property and casualty. His company has.been around for a while and has 30+ employees or so the site says.
Any advice for interview? I told him I have experience with selling truck insurance and sent my resume, so I'm assuming something interested him. Im also 23 maybe they want younger people, 23 I feel like im an old man now ha.
I know I have alot to lear. I worked at one agency that only sold truck insurance then left there and got my p&c license.
Should I ask him if I take my book of business when and if I leave his company?
I work 4 days a week now so I dont know if he would want me part time or full time.
also I have rent to pay I would need a salary to leave my job because what if sales my sales are low or I miss their quota these are all things I would consider.
Thank you for your guidance NCagent, its been nice to get some advice and see replies to posts, fun ha.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I went on google for agency fees. Its what I thought.
What ive seen, is that you can add any fee you want then have the customer sign a paper agreeing to the agency fee?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
This is a brokerage by the way.

Last edited:
not all states allow agency fees,

You appear to be as green as can be to insurance, you would be well off going a captive agency or being a producer for someone else for a few years.

Yes I am green. I have alot to learn. I hope the broker on Monday will have a good offer that I can live on.
Ive got offers to join all state twice, how do agents live off that pay?

Some dont. Go and work for an agency for a couple of years. You need to know insurance first before opening your own business

Latest posts

Back