OEP question

Not to defend them (and I haven't seen the commercial), but usually outside AEP Humana targets low income/dual eligibles. Will they probably catch some OEP fish? Sure, but I doubt they're directly marketing to them. Hate the game, not the player.
I divide my "hate" equally among carriers unless they screw me directly, then I'll just scoop some off one plate and pile it on theirs for awhile. Just pointed to Humana b/c that was indeed the carrier whose TV ad I caught. It wasn't aimed at DSNP's I can tell you that...it was in fact highlighting all the wonderful things that can happen during this new, brilliant idea of having an OEP starting this year.

just had an MAPD client call me
telling me that "Medicare" called her saying that there is an opportunity to switch plans and save her a lot of money. I tried getting the phone number from her, but she didnt have it, I was planning to report it.

Apparantly some agents are marketing OEP.

Marketing Guidance

Plans, including agents/brokers, may NOT knowingly conduct any OEP marketing to Medicare Advantage members during the OEP timeframe. This prohibition includes knowingly targeting or sending any unsolicited marketing materials, by telephone, direct mail and/or e-mail.

Examples of ‘knowingly’ targeting for OEP:

• Sending unsolicited materials advertising the ability/opportunity to make an additional enrollment change or referencing the OEP.
  • Messaging specifically calling out the OEP; including dates/timeframe – even in an ‘educational’ context for existing members/clients.
  • Marketing to beneficiaries who are in the OEP because they made a choice during the Annual Enrollment Period (AEP) by purchase of mailing lists or other means of identification.
  • Engage in or promote agent/broker activities that intend to leverage the OEP as an opportunity to make further sales.
  • Call/Contact former enrollees who elected a new plan during the AEP.

telling me that "Medicare" called her saying that there is an opportunity to switch plans and save her a lot of money. I tried getting the phone number from her, but she didnt have it, I was planning to report it.

Thats not an "Agent" thats a "scammer"

I’m sure there’s even agents here that think that phone call was ok

Depends how it's done. I dont market for MAPD at all, as it's my least favorite asset class. However, when im talking to seniors for our FE/Medsupp/Annuity sales and they dont like their current MAPD, I have no problem switching them.

What is the exact rule here? (Edit, NM I see answer above)

This prohibition includes knowingly targeting or sending any unsolicited marketing materials, by telephone, direct mail and/or e-mail.

Yeah... all these "examples" seem like judgement calls that a slippery group can get around by simple scumbaggery. More reasons to stay away from mapd...

That sounds like a meddsupp campaign, which opened an MAPD convo as a side effect. At least that's what a they will say.

My meddsupp campaign is generating some MAPD convos, even tho my TMs specifically check that the prospect has a meddsupp already.

What am I supposed to do if that senior wants to switch their MAPD? This is an honest question.

If the beneficiary wants to switch their MAPD you can go ahead and do it. It's ok to talk about OEP in the context of a larger discussion about all SEP's that are available to them. You just cannot specifically target those people with OEP only, but many of course will. All the more reason to have them in the right plan in the first place.

Reviving an old thread because I don't want to create more publicity and Google searches on this topic.

Had a client email me yesterday about the FREE Medicare mentioned in the Joe Namath commercial. My reply verified what she thought. Just more ways to trick seniors into switching coverage. (Her words, not mine, although I do concur).

Wasn't difficult to find the Namath commercial. It's embedded in an 60 second spot for the Mcare Coverage Hotline. Slick ad and even includes Broadway Joe pitching the coverage you deserve. You'll be happy you called. I GUARANTEE it.

Same line a younger Joe used regarding the upcoming Super Bowl.

I couldn't help but notice the similarities in his pitch and the ones used by TV lawyers. One call, that's all.

I won't post the link but if you Google Medicare Coverage Helpline Joe Namath you can find it.

I suspect this is an agency, not carrier ad.

No idea if Joe is wearing pantyhose and really don't care.

Reviving an old thread because I don't want to create more publicity and Google searches on this topic.

Had a client email me yesterday about the FREE Medicare mentioned in the Joe Namath commercial. My reply verified what she thought. Just more ways to trick seniors into switching coverage. (Her words, not mine, although I do concur).

Wasn't difficult to find the Namath commercial. It's embedded in an 60 second spot for the Mcare Coverage Hotline. Slick ad and even includes Broadway Joe pitching the coverage you deserve. You'll be happy you called. I GUARANTEE it.

Same line a younger Joe used regarding the upcoming Super Bowl.

I couldn't help but notice the similarities in his pitch and the ones used by TV lawyers. One call, that's all.

I won't post the link but if you Google Medicare Coverage Helpline Joe Namath you can find it.

I suspect this is an agency, not carrier ad.

No idea if Joe is wearing pantyhose and really don't care.

LOL Look like Joe has both Med Supp and MA plan

Medicare Coverage Helpline TV Commercial, 'Medigap Coverage' Featuring Joe Namath

Going back to the OP, we can’t enroll people on a Med supp to a MAPD effective 1/1/20? I’ve done it. Am I reading this thread wrong?

Back