OH: Looking for new company to appoint with.

Indian Agent13

Hello everyone. I am new to the Insurance Forum and this would be my first post. I’m hoping questions like these are allowed?
My office is in serach of a well rounded P&C insurance company. We are in the process of leaving a contract with a carrier that was a very profitable P&C carrier for us for many years but since has decided to no longer write P&C. Just looking for some suggestions as to what carriers we should really be considering to bring into my business. Thanks!

Indian, are you a captive agency? Just curious why you only have had one carrier. As for who to contract with, much would have to do with your market. Acuity may not be a fit for you at all as they are pretty strict with age of buildings, and their personal lines pricing may not be that great in your market. But I'm not a price only agent and look more to ease of doing business with.

Hear great things about Erie!

State Auto is based in OH, have gone thru some drastic changes and today seem to have things working. Future is uncertain though, imo.

If your Indy, you should have a couple all lines carriers, and need the American Moderns, Foremost, and Progressives too for the oddball stuff.

You may also need to look to an Aggregator if you have trouble getting direct appointments. Unfortunate, but true.

Good Luck to you!

Yes, we are an independent agency. We carry approx. 8 different carriers. We have an appointment with State Auto and have seen the drastic changes they've made. We really only use them for Farm. We hear there could be more changes coming on that side.

EMC is a company that we have had in our office for many many years. They announced that they would no longer be doing P&C and would just be focusing on commercial. We have a fair size P&C book with them and will be moving it obviously, but that being said we lost a P&C carrier. Were just trying to keep our eyes and ears open to something that might not be on every street corner.

We don't have Erie, but I've taken quite a bit of business from them in the past so I'm not sure about them. Thanks for you suggestion! I appreciate it. Also, I would agree, I'm not a price only agent either. Ease of doing business is huge in my office.

I am looking for carriers as well. I've been active on the life and health side for 6 years, but there is a lot of uncertainty there on the health side and lots of compliance so I got my P & C license last year. I am also looking for carriers (in TN). I hear that Erie is not opening more offices in my area. Cincinatti didn't want to open me up as a skratch agency either. I am talking to the local rep for Encompass...any feedback on them? From what I think I have put together they would be a good match for my Medicare Supplement clients (upper middle income). I also have a good bit of lower income Medicare business which might be substandard on auto (maybe Dairyland is a fit there?) What company would be good for smaller, older homes and older cars for lower income people?

Latest posts

Back