Oh Lord It's Another Real Estate Person Infiltrating Insurance

Hi Insurance Forurm!
I have been thoroughly enjoying reading the posts and learning before I jump in. I still have a lot of questions but I also still have a lot of reading to do.

I am a REALTOR and I co-own a real estate brokerage. I am not looking to mix Real Estate with Insurance. Hence no Property and Casualty stuff for me. Nor I am looking to get out of REAL ESTATE. I am however looking to open up another revenue stream.

I am intrigued with the Senior Market. My mom who will be 68 this August was forced into retirement last August. In January we went to a Humana MarketPoint Enrollment meeting where she enrolled in the Humana Choice PPO w/o the Prescription Drug Coverage. (she could have gotten the RX coverage if enrolled during the inital enrollment period.) anyway it was all confusing for us and the 20 other people in the room. But me being the entrepreneur that I am saw Opportunity.

Most of my real estate clients who right now are all sellers and local doctors who are reluctant to buy anything right now (waiting for the deals they say) are either Seniors or the children of Seniors. I have built a good reputation in my area and think this will be lucrative market to break into. Plus, although I am a go getter I am by no means a Hard Salesperson. With Medicare Advantage and Supplementals the end user is usually adding on to Medicare Plan and have little to no out of pocket premium expenses. Plus they really want clarity and information and someone to help them.

Times are tough and regular health insurance is unaffordable. Hell, I don't even have it. I tell my doctor this "look give me the cash discount cause when I leave your office you can go straight to the grocery store, you don't have to wait for the EOB." She usually takes off $20. And praise God I have been quite healty.

So with all this said. I just wanted to introduce myself. I'm am 35 with no obligations, I am a realtor and I want to sell Senior Products especially Medicare Supplements and Medigap. I have read the getting started threads and the one on Senior Market. I will be seeking advise and posting. Any advise you have will be appreciated so please feel free to contact me. Oh, BTW I am in Coastal Georgia. And if you want some of this prime real estate down here please PM me.:1cute:
</IMG>

Welcome.

"Hell, I don't even have it" Well...if you don't have coverage, it might be hard to justify talking to other people about buying coverage. Regardless...good luck.

WebRealty used in this post
WebNanny not used in this post

Welcome to the forum,
If you want to contact me, I can help you with final expense and Medicare info. I also contract agents for final expense but info is free with no obligation.
You have several misconceptions in your post.
First, people who go on Medicare Advantage are NOT adding to their base Medicare coverage. They are replacing their base Medicare (A&B) with privatized health insurance. Not the same thing at all.
2nd, there is no CASH discount when you go to the doctor with no health insurance. You pay MUCH more. Doctors charge people with no insurance MUCH higher rates than people with insurance EVEN IF THE INSURANCE PAYS NOTHING. I don't agree with it but it is the way of the world.

Welcome and Good luck many from your industry have tried and failed-but in this business its about numbers. If you can be consistent with activity you'll do great.

ATTITUDE, ACTIVITY AND LAST ASK FOR THE BUSINESS.

I sell Medicare supplements with MoO and renewals are great not a lot of up front money but as build your book of business it can be profitable. Life is the bread and butter for me I also do DI my market Self-employed like real estate, attorneys etc WIIFM they see the value easy sell.

My advice get contracted with a few A rated companies if you plan on being indy if not you can always go captive for about 6 months for the experience and SMALL stipend but be ready for a manager to micro-manage you to no end.

Welcome and Good luck many from your industry have tried and failed-but in this business its about numbers. If you can be consistent with activity you'll do great.

ATTITUDE, ACTIVITY AND LAST ASK FOR THE BUSINESS.

I sell Medicare supplements with MoO and renewals are great not a lot of up front money but as build your book of business it can be profitable. Life is the bread and butter for me I also do DI my market Self-employed like real estate, attorneys etc WIIFM they see the value easy sell.

My advice get contracted with a few A rated companies if you plan on being indy if not you can always go captive for about 6 months for the experience and SMALL stipend but be ready for a manager to micro-manage you to no end.

Thanks to all who are responding. I am not too shamed to admit that I do have some misconceptions but that is why I am here to, as my Momma puts it, "get straightened".

My main goal in life is to have more than one income stream. I am starting my next 10year goal cycle and after defining the things I can and like to do, insurance sales seems to be the next step. Well, I am at a point now where I can work on building the next stream. My success in RE has come from my desire to help people and I feel that specializing in the Senior Market will be best for me.

Given this, are there any suggestions on which companies I should look into?

Please keep posting I am learning a lot.

Lots of folks in the senior market, my advice is to prospect with non senior market. If you are indy, you can contract with most all the comp term, UL, disability and health companies. Get someone to mentor you and split commissions and learn health, life and disability. If you are a quick learner you can be ahead of the curve. It's really not all that difficult.

Times are tough and regular health insurance is unaffordable. Hell, I don't even have it. I tell my doctor this "look give me the cash discount cause when I leave your office you can go straight to the grocery store, you don't have to wait for the EOB." She usually takes off $20. And praise God I have been quite healty.

Health insurance may not seem affordable now, but if your health takes a turn for the worse your perspective will change.

Almost anyone can afford bare bones health insurance. With a bare bones plan you have coverage for catastrophic illness or accident and you have access to networks for true "discount pricing".

Your $20 office visits may work for primary care but try getting brain surgery on the cheap. "Hey doc, times are tough. Here's a Franklin for your trouble."

As for your coastal GA connections, money is a bit tight right now. Can you get me some beach front property with a 3/2 house for $1,000?

Last edited:
Back