Ohio FE agent looking for a change...

toughroll

I have been licensed about 4 years. I have only sold Final Expense, and am quite good at it (4 trips won in first 3 years). Burnt out from the travel, and then my wife's family had a death, and took some time off. I love insurance, but was traveling 500 to 1000 miles a week. I am also a bit tired of the cat piss homes - if you have never sold f.e. you likely don't understand what it's like riding the cat piss circuit. I am independent.
I would like to continue to do some type of life insurance and work on bigger cases. I have spoken to a couple of people locally, who have captive agencies. I am not very excited about what they have to offer.
One was basically service our P and C customers, and you will get life leads. Another was write down 100 warm market people you know and go see them. I am used to a first call close but can change that. I am very aggressive, but so well mannered and friendly I never come off a "salesey" and quite honestly really endeavor to always do what is in best interest of customer. In a little over 3 years of selling F.E. I sold over 750 policies - which I think is pretty good, having never sold any insurance product before. I did this all by buying leads. If you know the f.e. market intimately, you will know that in general it is very difficult to work those customers for "normal" insurance products. F.E. people have other f.e. people, and typically their peers are other f.e. people, and so are their family.
I am willing to buy leads to work a more "upscale" market with bigger case potential. I am NOT willing to go to my friends and family to sell. I have never liked that model - I will do tons of things outside my comfort zone, but that is not one of them (on the plus side - I have zero fear of door knocking and am quite good at it). I also know I need extensive training and coaching - I know f.e. inside out - I know nothing else in the insurance world. I am very coachable - I listen, and I absorb. I know I would not be super happy sitting in an office all day, working P and C policy service to try to get a couple of leads. I am also not real excited about selling health products. In the f.e. world you go belly to belly with ideally 7 to 10 people a day. That likely does not happen in "real" insurance, but I am hoping for more then a few sits a week.
So I have some questions.......

1. Are there any non-captive type agencies out there (IMO's) that provide real training - product training, how to do illustrations, ride alongs, ride along with me, etc?

2. Is it realistic to think I can quickly build a nice book of business (I did this in f.e.) by just buying leads, or must a person really work their warm market?

3. Have you ever seen anyone go from full time f.e. into fully underwritten products and be successful?

4. Any ideas on who would be good to speak with in Ohio on the subject of doing something other then f.e. in the life insurance world?

I don't think I have privilege to receive private messages. I think you need a certain number of posts. So if you post, please let me know how to get hold of you. I truly appreciate any and all comments and advice.

Looks like you are averaging $150,000AP a year selling FE which is awesome. Why not start recruiting agents like other successful agents do after a few years in the field?

Contact jerry smith jls marketing concepts . Great training life guru . Great system and pitches sells life to senior market. He is in Ohio

I can help you with selling Medicare if interested f2f or over the phone

I have been licensed about 4 years. I have only sold Final Expense, and am quite good at it (4 trips won in first 3 years). Burnt out from the travel, and then my wife's family had a death, and took some time off. I love insurance, but was traveling 500 to 1000 miles a week. I am also a bit tired of the cat piss homes - if you have never sold f.e. you likely don't understand what it's like riding the cat piss circuit. I am independent.
I would like to continue to do some type of life insurance and work on bigger cases. I have spoken to a couple of people locally, who have captive agencies. I am not very excited about what they have to offer.
One was basically service our P and C customers, and you will get life leads. Another was write down 100 warm market people you know and go see them. I am used to a first call close but can change that. I am very aggressive, but so well mannered and friendly I never come off a "salesey" and quite honestly really endeavor to always do what is in best interest of customer. In a little over 3 years of selling F.E. I sold over 750 policies - which I think is pretty good, having never sold any insurance product before. I did this all by buying leads. If you know the f.e. market intimately, you will know that in general it is very difficult to work those customers for "normal" insurance products. F.E. people have other f.e. people, and typically their peers are other f.e. people, and so are their family.
I am willing to buy leads to work a more "upscale" market with bigger case potential. I am NOT willing to go to my friends and family to sell. I have never liked that model - I will do tons of things outside my comfort zone, but that is not one of them (on the plus side - I have zero fear of door knocking and am quite good at it). I also know I need extensive training and coaching - I know f.e. inside out - I know nothing else in the insurance world. I am very coachable - I listen, and I absorb. I know I would not be super happy sitting in an office all day, working P and C policy service to try to get a couple of leads. I am also not real excited about selling health products. In the f.e. world you go belly to belly with ideally 7 to 10 people a day. That likely does not happen in "real" insurance, but I am hoping for more then a few sits a week.
So I have some questions.......

1. Are there any non-captive type agencies out there (IMO's) that provide real training - product training, how to do illustrations, ride alongs, ride along with me, etc?

2. Is it realistic to think I can quickly build a nice book of business (I did this in f.e.) by just buying leads, or must a person really work their warm market?

3. Have you ever seen anyone go from full time f.e. into fully underwritten products and be successful?

4. Any ideas on who would be good to speak with in Ohio on the subject of doing something other then f.e. in the life insurance world?

I don't think I have privilege to receive private messages. I think you need a certain number of posts. So if you post, please let me know how to get hold of you. I truly appreciate any and all comments and advice.

I have never worked with these folks before but have heard nothing but good things about them, check out their website and maybe call them.

Postema Marketing Group
pmg1.com

Have you considered offering ancillary health products such as CI, Accident or Cancer.? Broad market ragea s far as income and age...

Looks like you are averaging $150,000AP a year selling FE which is awesome. Why not start recruiting agents like other successful agents do after a few years in the field?
Not quite. about $110 - $120 k. Lots of small premiums. As for having people under me - yuch!! Another thing I have no desire to do. I can motivate myself. You don't want to get out of bed, you stay in bed, is my feeling. I am not much of a cheerleader.

Have you considered offering ancillary health products such as CI, Accident or Cancer.? Broad market ragea s far as income and age...
I have not, but that sounds interesting. Who would be good in Ohio for that? How would you get those leads?

I have not, but that sounds interesting. Who would be good in Ohio for that? How would you get those leads?
I have never used leads for cancer... Prospect by canvassing, referrals, etc. Manhattan Assurance (CUL) has a good product so does Washington National. If you want I can let you know who I am through.... However, don't expect training, etc. from them... They will give you a top GA contract...(not under me..I don't recruit) I would be answer any questions you have as you are getting acclimated to the products.. Here is a Video that you can use as part of your presentation ..

I truly appreciate any and all comments and advice.
Slowly transition out of FE. This will allow you to have an income while you are learning.

The great news is that you are good in front of people that are hard to sell (final expense). Mortgage protection would be a good place to start but stay away from MLM's. They will lock you into contracts that will screw you in the future if you are just a producer. Also, most all of the MLM agents embellish and lie to get you to sign up.

You can contact on your own and get up to 40+% more commission if you do it the right way vs. going with an MLM. You can also contract with someone else and share commission while you learn.

Lot's of ways to do this. Just don't get locked into any "deals" at this time.

Back