Old Life Insurance Companies - Where are They Now?

Kansas Farm

Does anyone have any information on who how holds:
  • Farmers Union Life Insurance Company - Des Moines, IA
  • Farmers Life Insurance Company - Des Moines, IA
  • General United Life Insurance Company - Des Moines, IA
A family member recently passed away and held policies from the companies listed above. I can find no information on these companies nor whom to contact. These policies were sold in the 40's to 60s.

Thanks
Kansas Farm

I didn't find anything on A M Best's website. Googled the three companies and found nothing on the first two.

Found this on General United:

All American Life of Chicago bought General United. USLIFE Corp. bought All American. American General of Houston bought USLIFE. AIG bought American General.

Who bought General United Life Insurance Des Moines Iowa

I don't know how old that entry is but it couldn't hurt to call AIG's corporate office and see if they can trace the policies.

It's possible that all three companies were part of the same group or that General was the parent of the other two. Just speculation, of course.

Also found the following on General United:

General United Life Insurance Company in Iowa | Company Info & Reviews

That gives you another place to check - The Iowa Corporation Commission:

Business Entities Search

If you don't find anything in the online search, call up as the records may be archived.

Also call the Iowa Insurance Division. There may also be archives on companies from the past and who their successors were:

Iowa Insurance Division |

I don't know about doing this in the large metropolitan areas, but in a small rural town like where I grew up, I would also see if there were any "old time" insurance agents around and ask them if they recognize any of the company names.

Also, check this on the odd chance of other financial things that might be around:
Kansas State Treasurer - Unclaimed Property

(annoying-I have family members who have things listed but can't be bothered to get them.)

(and every state has something like that-worth a check if your family member lived elsewhere for any prolonged period of time.)

AJ .... In reply "It's possible that all three companies were part of the same group or that General was the parent of the other two. Just speculation, of course."

Yes, I believe that these may be all the same evolving company based on the timing:
  • Farmers Union Life Insurance Company - Policy Issued in Dec 1943
  • Farmers Life Insurance Company - Beneficiary Update Letters in Feb/Jan 1955
  • General United Life Insurance Company - Assumption Letter in Jan 1969
I will check with AIG today.

LD .... thanks for all of the great links .... I'll check them out.

Maybe we can get this mystery solved!!

THX --- KANSAS FARM

My memory is slipping enough that I can no longer tell you precisely what I did, but I am sympathetic to your situation because I had to go through exactly the same thing a couple of years ago. I was trying to organize policy information for my wife for the time when she will need to use it, and I have an old policy from the 40's I had to track down. Several false starts, but I got it eventually.

Back