Old Med Supp Policies (Pre-6/10)

Ronnie Carter

Guru
100+ Post Club
Any advice appreciated on this.

I began selling MS's during the '10 AEP and am not extremely familiar with the old plans (E, H, I, J etc.). I have a client I am going to visit in a couple days, whose wife claims he has had a Plan F for years which pays part of his drug costs. My antennae went up so I asked if he had a separate card he uses at the drug store, wife said no. I inquired about what drugs were covered and it would definitely not be Part B stuff.

I do know some of the old MS plans covered drugs. My question is this -- is it possible an old Plan F has Rx coverage? Since we're out of AEP I want to ensure I don't accidentally cause him to lose his Part D benefits. He is paying about $100/month too much and even UnitedHealthcare will save him a bunch if I switch him.

What old plans had drug coverage? Is it possible this guy's wife is correct?

Thanks in advance and merry Christmas!

Plan H, I, and J used to cover 50% of the Rx costs up to an annual limit. This all changed, not in 2010, but when Part-D plans became available. Those 3 plans no longer offered Rx coverage but current policyholders were grandfathtered.

Plan J had a 3,000 limit and paid 50% of the costs of prescriptions. But since there was a limit it was not considered as good as Part-D plans. Therefore it is not creditable coverage.

It is possible (likely) that your client has never purchased a Part-D plan and therefore would be subject to penalty if he bought one now, even assuming he could outside of AEP.

Be careful about moving him at this point unless he already has a Part-D plan. That extra $100/mo he's paying could be worth about $3,000 in prescription benefit.

The changes in 2010 removed Plan J because without the Rx coverage, it was the same as Plan F.

Rick

I ran into a lady who had an a pre-Part D Plan J and she swore by it. Couldn't even get her to consider an MAPD, although the premium was absurd (close to $3,500 annually) and the MAPD had an OOP max of $3,400. Odds are that if they indeed have Prescription Drug coverage through the old plan (it can't be a plan F, they're probably mistaken) they won't want to change either, especially if they have to pay the penalty for getting a standardized drug plan (stand-alone Part D) later.

I have a client..... whose wife claims he has had a Plan F for years which pays part of his drug costs.

First, I would insist on seeing the Id card.
More than likely, your client has Plan J.
These three plans, H, I & J all have "embedded Rx" coverage.
Like Rick(birthday boy) said, these plans are non creditable.
You could move this client during the next AEP. Not now.

OK, thanks to all of you -- I gather from the above that what I suspected is correct, that Plan F never had Rx coverage, and the lady was mistaken when she claimed her husband had drug coverage from his Plan F.

As Dayton said, I will demand to see the card. If it says "F,", then I will dig deeper.

Hope all of you have a very merry Christmas, and Rick, happy birthday (per Dayton's post)!!

OK, thanks to all of you -- I gather from the above that what I suspected is correct, that Plan F never had Rx coverage, and the lady was mistaken when she claimed her husband had drug coverage from his Plan F.

As Dayton said, I will demand to see the card. If it says "F,", then I will dig deeper.

Hope all of you have a very merry Christmas, and Rick, happy birthday (per Dayton's post)!!

Some companies send out Rx discount cards along with their policies.
I have run into a handful of people thinking their Med Supp covered prescrriptions because of those.

Check medicare.gov to see if pt D coverage is present, or call them. Then check their supp card. Simple as that.

Back