Older Beat Up Needs Advice

Well, I'm not in P&C, so I can't advise you specifically. I can only tell you to search out Farmers, State Farm, and Allstate and get a REAL sense of what they're like through the posts on the forum, rather than just "assuming" everything the recruiter says is true.

Companies like these require a capital commitment.

Reactions: DHK
Companies like these require a capital commitment.
Right. I interviewed with Allstate several years ago. I could either buy an existing agency, or start one from scratch. To start from scratch you needed $50,000. Buying an agency is higher than that. I seem to recall that the fail rate is relatively high on scratch agencies.

The easiest way, IMO, to get into the insurance business is on the life side, especially Final Expense. The AAA call center idea would probably be good for you, too. But I get the impression that it doesn't pay very well. Another option might be to become a producer in a larger P&C agency. Comp is lower, but so is the risk.

(I'm not a P&C guy, either. Anything I'm saying should be understood in that light. But I have at least a passing acquaintance with it because of friends on that side.)

Yeah call center work might be a great start. There's an AAA call center here in Omaha. On more than one occasion, I've considered giving the indy life up and applying there. The struggle of generating consistent lead flow is real!

My old Door to Door canvassing skills, (that I learned back in my Kirby vacuum selling days) have been my only saving grace that's kept me in the biz.

Last edited:
Back