On SSDI Being Forced into Medicare

gal56b

Does one (like me - 52 year old) absolutely has NO CHOICE to stay in the Marketplace for healthcare insurance once it is the two year anniversary of the beginning of my SSDI benefits?

My limited understanding is that I have no choice. That once my two year anniversary hits -- then I will automatically, without any action or choice on my part -- be put on HIGH PRICED, crappy insurance -- Medicare A/B. My SSDI benefits will automatically be garnished like 150 bucks to pay for A/B. And, on top of that, I will still need to find and pay for a plan D?

It makes no sense. I am with a private insurer (BCBS) via the marketplace. I pay a $500 deductible, after that EVERYTHING IS FREE. I was on it last year. I signed up again for the same plan for next year. More competition, driving the prices down . . . that is the beauty of a truly 'free market'.

If the gov't FORCES me to buy their insurance (Medicare) so much for the benefits of a 'free market'. I will in Aug 2017 suffer the ill effects of a MONOPOLY.

I found out via the SSA that my 2 year anniversary is in Aug 2017. Why would the gov't force me to take crappy insurance (Medicare) that is about 500% more expensive than my current plan? Is it just a money making scheme for the gov't?

So much for a 'free market'. I just don't understand the philosophy of this whole thing other than it is an awesome and easy way for the gov't to make a ton of money. I thought monopolies were illegal?! I guess that doesn't apply to the folks that make all the rules.

Have any of you already fell victim to this two year anniversary racket? Is there no way around/out of it?

Thanks.

Does one (like me - 52 year old) absolutely has NO CHOICE to stay in the Marketplace for healthcare insurance once it is the two year anniversary of the beginning of my SSDI benefits?

My limited understanding is that I have no choice. That once my two year anniversary hits -- then I will automatically, without any action or choice on my part -- be put on HIGH PRICED, crappy insurance -- Medicare A/B. My SSDI benefits will automatically be garnished like 150 bucks to pay for A/B. And, on top of that, I will still need to find and pay for a plan D?

It makes no sense. I am with a private insurer (BCBS) via the marketplace. I pay a $500 deductible, after that EVERYTHING IS FREE. I was on it last year. I signed up again for the same plan for next year. More competition, driving the prices down . . . that is the beauty of a truly 'free market'.

If the gov't FORCES me to buy their insurance (Medicare) so much for the benefits of a 'free market'. I will in Aug 2017 suffer the ill effects of a MONOPOLY.

I found out via the SSA that my 2 year anniversary is in Aug 2017. Why would the gov't force me to take crappy insurance (Medicare) that is about 500% more expensive than my current plan? Is it just a money making scheme for the gov't?

So much for a 'free market'. I just don't understand the philosophy of this whole thing other than it is an awesome and easy way for the gov't to make a ton of money. I thought monopolies were illegal?! I guess that doesn't apply to the folks that make all the rules.

Have any of you already fell victim to this two year anniversary racket? Is there no way around/out of it?

Thanks.

if you want the free market drop your disability payment from the govt, then you can buy what ever you want, and its not 2 years but 18 months and you have a choice of a sup or an MA plan, find a local agent to help you

Thanks.

A. Medicare is not 'crappy' insurance-you will have access to a much wider range of providers and hospitals plus the current Marketplace system is likely to be ended by 2018, at which time you will be fortunate to have Medicare as a viable replacement

B. Your Marketplace plan is heavily subsidized by the government (both premium and out of pocket costs), if you had a completely 'free' market you would probably pay way more than $500 per month for that so all of your calculations are invalid

C. Your SSDI will not 'automatically' be garnished $150 to pay for Medicare A and B, you have the choice to not enroll in Part B and avoid the premium, it would just be dumb not to take it.

You are complaining in the wrong place, agents understand the system and will have little or no sympathy with your situation.

Thanks.

I think it's best that I just bite my tongue(Ouch!) and not say anything.:nah:

I know that it is difficult to be in a situation where money you have access to is inadequate to meet all the needs for money, and I have no wisdom to offer for that. Unfortunately when we accept gifts, we also seem to have to accept whatever strings the giver chooses to put on them.

Back