ON SSDI - Under Review W/Private Disability

rudy222

I have been disabled since 2009 applied for SSDI and was approved first try in less than 60 days. I am now up for review under my employer's private disability policy, the 36 month "any occupation" review. I was deemed disabled from doing "my own" occupation, but this one scares me. I have read this is much harder to prove but I don't know why, if I cant do my own job what makes them think I can do something else????

I was wondering if anyone had any feedback with the 36 month review or could give me some ray of hope. Lost much sleep and cannot afford an attorney, had to already hire one paid him $6,000 and he did nothing and I mean nothing, honestly. Money is a huge issue after losing work and having my income slashed in half. I think you understand.

If they take this away from me I lose Health Insurance, Life Insurance Polices and my monthly income. I don't know where I could go and find work even part time and sustain a position. Plus that would greatly impact my SSDI. Are there any legal ramifications that the private disability company must follow if a person is already on SSDI?

The following is Social Security's definition of disability.

"Disability" under Social Security is based on your inability to work. We consider you disabled under Social Security rules if:
  • You cannot do work that you did before;
  • We decide that you cannot adjust to other work because of your medical condition(s); and
  • Your disability has lasted or is expected to last for at least one year or to result in death.
Obviously the contract language on your employer's policy rules, but if you can qualify as disabled by Social Security, I would think you would meet the definition of "any occupation".

That was what I was thinking I just know if they force me to go back to work, it will mess up my SSDI, I lose all the benefits I had from my employer I worked 23 years to get. I just was wondering if anyone had an opinion on whether this is likely to happen or if because I was approved by SSDI (paid them $13,000 in back pay) that I would make it thru this and be approved. My contract states I will get this until I am 65 if approved at which tim I can begin collecting from my pension. I know it is thier job to find reasons to disqualify you not to keep you insured, they come on strong as if they are there to help you and are your best friend, but in reality they are listening to every work you say and will turn anything around that they can.

Back