ON vs SBLI ...

agentjhc

Guru
1000 Post Club
ON and SBLI frequently show up at the top of term premium rates. How do the companies compare with Permanent products to convert to?

SBLI has some rock bottom preferred rates. But I seem to recall dgoldenz on here say that they are next to impossible to get.

From what I can tell, ON is likely the "better" company. Just don't know much about SBLI.

Is ON UW about the same as Banner, TransAm, Protective, etc..

I have not written TA in a while but I find ONL to be tighter than Protective and Banner.

I would expect that. ON is aggressive only if compared against other Mutuals.

They aren't super tight, but they aren't going to buy business.

ON and SBLI frequently show up at the top of term premium rates. How do the companies compare with Permanent products to convert to?

I'm unfamiliar with SBLI conversion options, but ON term (plus option) converts to any perm product in the portfolio at the time of conversion.

The links DHK alluded to are over a year old and ON's perm line has changed a little. Prestige 100 has replaced the Xcel and Performance. The 100 can be blended and I agree that the software is challenging on blends unless you run them frequently.

The Prestige Max continues to complete favorably in the supplemental retirement income scenario in part due to the preferred loan rate possibility (1% lower than current loan rate at age 65 or 4% whichever is higher).

More important to me is the competitive current loan rates, making access to cash value along the way before retirement more appealing than some of their peer companies.

The Prestige Max will not blow away the competition if you're simply looking at "cash value at 65", but then again, using "cash at 65" as the main benchmark would be a rookie mistake.

Last edited:
SBLI has some rock bottom preferred rates. But I seem to recall dgoldenz on here say that they are next to impossible to get.

SBLI's underwriting is pretty competitive, I would say on par with Banner/Pru/etc. when it comes to Preferred/P+ cases. Not as competitive on table-rated cases.

Ohio National's perm products are better than SBLI's--both whole life and universal life insurance. Ohio National doesn't distribute through IMO's. Ohio National is better rated.

Underwriting is pretty similar, but I would say Ohio National tends to be more reasonable. The new business process is much better at Ohio National.

SBLI's illustration software is horrendously worse than Ohio National's. :arghh:

Back